iTunes Tempo + Pitch Plugin

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Marneus, Sep 13, 2005.

1. Marneus macrumors newbie

Apr 19, 2005
    Alrighty, i've searched and found nothing here on this question, and this combined with the fruitlessness of the internet, it would seem no iTunes user has actually pondered the same thing.

Anyway, back in my darker Winamp using days (I used Winamp a long time after getting an iPod because I was convinced iTunes was the devil), I had a little plugin called Pacemaker. It provided simple sliding controls to vary the pitch and speed of an mp3. For some reason I really like slowing down guitar solo's, just a quirk of mine.

Anyway, I scoured Versiontracker and found nothing.

My question is; Is there a plugin for iTunes that allows control over pitch and tempo?
  2. LtRammstein macrumors 6502a

Jun 20, 2006
    Denver, CO
    I was looking through the Developer section of the Developer Connection, and I did see there was a FxPlug SDK.

You might want to sign up for a free Developer Connection ID and download it and see what you can learn about it.
  3. djestouff macrumors newbie

Oct 26, 2008
    i love pacedmaker *well make that loved since i switched to osx. theres gotta be something equivalent out there.
  4. kuroyume0161 macrumors newbie

Nov 5, 2006
    I doubt that no iTunes user has pondered this. I've been hoping for something like WinAmp's PaceMaker for long years to appear in iTunes. If WinAmp could actually read iTunes library, then iTunes would be moot but alas it cannot.

Ocassional searches for such a plugin or support over the years have shown that there still is no such thing for iTunes. Being a developer myself but with very limited experience with Cocoa (iPhone SDK) it is something to look into. The problem is finding out how to achieve this (what kind of algorithms are involved). If only the developer of PaceMaker would (or could) port this to iTunes it would be a boon for DJs, musicians, dancers, and probably many others besides.

5. kuroyume0161 macrumors newbie

Nov 5, 2006
    And now I see why there are none. Apple only provides two iTunes plugin SDKs:

* Visualization plugins
    * Device plugins (for various types of hardware)

Neither of these would fall under the DSP needed to do the type of thing that PaceMaker does (Fourier Transforms and such).

Chalk it up to Apple to leave us no alternatives except wait for them to get around to it.

6. Consultant macrumors G5

Jun 27, 2007
    If you open the file with quicktime, you can open "A/V Controls" to change speed and pitch.

Otherwise there are third party apps that use the iTunes library, such as
  7. kuroyume0161 macrumors newbie

Nov 5, 2006
    While that is nice, it isn't the easiest way to do this - you have to literally 'Open' each song with the annoyance of selecting "All Files" in the file dialog to see it first. And "Playback Speed" isn't very good (on Windows anyway it skips). "Pitch Shift" is good but unlike Pacemaker:

1. No numeric readout values.
    2. No remembering what it was set to for each song.

For a musician, this means finding the song in the iTunes library folder (instead of having a quick-and-simple Playlist - as well as all 6000 of my songs within easy reach), every time opening the A/V Controls and finding the pitch correction that works.

If they could put this into QuickTime, what exactly is stopping Apple from literally grabbing the QT code and inserting it into iTunes? Don't know how long QT has had this (at least 3 years I see) but we're now at version 9.0 of iTunes. Instead we have 'Genius' and Ringtones. :(

The only reason I keep WinAmp installed is because of Pacemaker. Apple is missing a golden opportunity here (hint, hint, nudge, nudge). ;)

DJ-1800: Mac-only, $80!!! For the intended purpose (pitch shifting), that is a bit much.

djay: again, Mac-only.

My 550W 5.1 speaker system is (rightfully) hooked up to my Windows computer since the Mac only has a stereo 1/8" audio out.
  8. Abadonna macrumors newbie

Oct 24, 2009
    you can try this free app - gAssistant

i think it's much similar to pacemaker