Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

J@ffa

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 21, 2002
Behind you!
Basically, I'm wondering if it's possible to link the mute button on Apple keyboards to the pause function of iTunes. If the phone or the doorbell rings I usually just go for the mute button, but I have to go to iTunes and hit the spacebar or pause it somehow too. If i'm listening to an album and I end up on the phone for ages I obviously end up miles from where I left off because the album was playing muted.

So, is there a way to link the mute and iTunes pause buttons? Ta :)

Jay42

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2005
Im not really sure, but it would seem to me that you would have to have iTunes selected to control its functions, whereas the mute key is universal because it mutes the global sound output of the computer. There's probably some way to do this with synergy or something similar though.

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2004
Vermontana
Have you tried sizzling keys? You can download it from macupdate.com, and link keys or key combos to itunes functions. I'm not sure if it would recognize the mute key, but its worth a shot... and free.

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC
ByteController is another freeware universal-keystroke type controller for iTunes. It also puts some controls up in your menu bar. Quite convenient, now I can just hit "Cmd+PageDown" to pause from any app.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.