iTunes thinks I authorized more computers than I did!!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dotdotdot, May 31, 2005.

1. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

I have one computer, eagerly awaiting a second to make that an iMac G5...

Anyway, I decided to view my purchase history, and I saw that iTunes thinks I authorized TWO computers!! But I didn't!!!

What do I do!?

2. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Relax, and wait until it says you've authorized 5 computers. Then use the "Deautorize All" function, and start fresh... ;)

Read this...

3. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze

Hey, that's exactly what I needed too. I just installed iTunes on my PC and it said I have authorized 4 of 5. I was wondering what to do about it. thanks for the link.

4. dotdotdot thread starter macrumors 68020

Thank you so much!

I just got scared, because if I got a new computer, it would be 3/5... and when my dad gets a new one it would be 4/5 if he used my stuff and sooner or later it would all be gone!

5. pdpardue macrumors regular

purchase history

how does one go about checking their purchase history or finding out how many computers are authorized?

6. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

Click on the account button in the top-right, put in the p/w and then click "View Account" to get up all the info and edit it.
    Simple. :)

7. dredmorbius macrumors newbie

Just remember you can only use the "Deauthorize All" function once per year so use it wisely. ;)

8. asif786 macrumors 65816

asif786

wow, i guess this is a new feature :)

the same thing happened to me a while ago and i just emailed itunes support. they gave me the 'we dont normally do this, blah blah blah' speech, but they did it.

i guess from now on they'll just be instructing people to use this function. coolio hoolio.

9. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

just for interest sakes...what happens if your on the pee-c side and you get a virus and everything is erased, what happens to all that music that you bought.... (if u don't use your ipod and do a reverse sync...)

10. ewinemiller macrumors 6502

If you don't back up, it's lost.

I had a Jaguar install eat itself right after the itunes store opened (i.e. it's not just a PC problem) and lost a couple of songs I hadn't backed up.

11. asif786 macrumors 65816

asif786

they may let you re-download the whole lot. i guess it depends if they believe you or not. they're normally very reluctant, but they'll do it. i know, because i requested it about a month ago and they allowed it.

12. feakbeak macrumors 6502a

feakbeak

Nice to learn about that Deauthorize All option. I may need to use it. I currently have 4/5 authorizations installed, but one is on my ex-gf's machine. I forgot to deauthorize her before she moved out. I don't really feel like seeing her again to enter my username and password to de-auth. I might as well just authorize another computer and then wipe'em all out.

How exactly does it work? Will previously authorized machines stop playing those DRM'ed tracks? Does iTunes periodically check-in with the store to validate DRM credentials? The only other thing I can think of is that all previous DRM authorizations are simply forgiven and the music can still be played. I understand this feature is probably mostly used for those who re-install or have hardware failure and are unable to deauthorize. Not a bad system, I'm glad the computers don't have to connect to iTMS to verify authorization each time, I wouldn't buy iTMS tracks if that were the case. Being able to use this "Deauthorize All" option once a year seems like a fair compromise.

13. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Ive never used it and I'm not seeing the deauthorize all option

14. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

I wonder why they have such strict rules about using the "Deauthorize All" feature. What do you think is their reasoning behind limiting the number of times in a year that you can use it, or how many computers you have to have authorized before you can use it? I already used it once this year, so I hope I don't need to use it again!

15. feakbeak macrumors 6502a

feakbeak

My guess is that previously authorized computers still play those DRM'ed tracks and that is why there are so many contraints on the usage of this feature.

16. feakbeak macrumors 6502a

feakbeak

Are you using all five of your allowed authorizations?

17. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Nope, I guess reading the page helps ;)

I had 4 of 5, 2 of those auths linked to computers I dont own anymore, so I wanted to reset everything. I went to my parents PC, authorized it to make it 5, deauthed all and now am using 2, one for my G5 and one for my iBook.

Once you use deauth all, computers can still play songs. I'm playing iTMS music on my unauthorized iBook now. I guess thats the reasoning behind the limitations, although I suppose iTunes periodically checks its auth status or checks when you go to the store

18. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Why do you think it says after you buy a song, "Back up your purchased music"?

Probably because of the reasons you just listed... and they didn't want the Mac people to feel left out of that dialog box.

19. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

iTMS customer service seems to be quite good. Delayed sometimes, but we're not talking life-and-death here.

I once wiped my HD (on purpose) but forgot to deauthorize first. My bad. When I reinstalled, I had to authorize again. It showed one authorization before adding that authorization... and one after. So the system handled my case automatically :)

20. dredmorbius macrumors newbie

Yeah after I recently deauthorized all of my 5 computers (I have no idea how I had 5 authorized) I was still able to play all of my purchased songs on the 3 computers I have. I checked the iTunes store to see if they showed up as being authorized to play my songs and they didn't until I bought another tune on each on. At that point I wasn't able to play any of the songs in my library that I had previously purchased until I authorized each computer again. I wonder why there is an option to deauthorize your computer, yet I don't see one to just authorize it? Hmmm....

I now have the correct 3 computers authorized. I know...great story. With a happy ending even. :D Hope it helps someone.

21. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Play a song that is from the iTMS. It will ask you then.

22. dotdotdot thread starter macrumors 68020

Or he just forgot... the "authorizing" dialog is exactly the same one as when you log into the iTMS...

Authorizing is not for ALL songs, only Apple DRM-Protected ones.

23. ScotRobson macrumors 6502

Is the deauthorise all option something that is just in the new version of iTunes? I dont see it.