iTunes to Garage band?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Gadolie, Nov 28, 2004.

1. Gadolie macrumors newbie

How do you import a song file in iTunes directly to garage band for tweaking? This would be either a song that I've ripped from a CD or purchased. Can you? I've tried dragging a tune and it just flys back out??
    Does the tune have to be converted to another format? I heard that iTunes would automatically convert it if needed.
    Thank you :confused:

2. 2A Batterie macrumors 6502a

2A Batterie

You may be trying to drag the song from iTunes into a MIDI track on GB. The default keyboard track that opens with any new GB file is MIDI. Try adding a new basic track (as oppossed to a software instrument) then dragging the itunes file into it.

3. Gadolie thread starter macrumors newbie

After reading your post, and not hearing that I can't, I tried again.
    Yeah, I knew about the midi track - I removed it and put in a basic new track. After playing around, I've learned that I can drag an m4a song, which is a song that I ripped from a CD. I can't however drag an m4p song which was purchased from the iTune store. How do I convert an m4p song to an m4a song? Any thoughts?

4. ColdFlame87 macrumors regular

Try going to preferences and clicking on the importing tab, mess around with those settings to what you want, then close it and click on the song you want to convert and go under advance and click convert selection to MP3 it will change it to what ever you set under the importing tab

5. kiwi-in-uk macrumors 6502a

Burn it to audio CD (iTunes recently began recommending this on every purchase) then import to iTunes in your preferred format. This will drag & drop to Garageband.

But watch those Copyright & royalty issues!!