Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nermal

Original poster
Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I'm having an interesting problem with iTunes 4.6.

I have several albums by The Corrs, and found their 'Best Of' album on iTMS. Since I already own most of the songs, I've taken copies of them and have changed their album tag and their track number to match the Best Of album. I have downloaded the few tracks I didn't already have from iTMS. However, I can't get them into the right order!

All of the tracks have the same Artist, Album and Genre tags, they're all set to disc 1 of 1, the tracks are all numbered correctly, and the total number of tracks is correct. They even have the same cover art. But iTunes refuses to put them in the right order!

In the library, they're ordered 1,3,4,5,7,8,11,13,14,15,17,2,6,9,10,12,16,18. As you can see they're sort of in order - it's like half the tracks have a different album name or something. However, all the tags are identical across all the files, with the exception of the track name and number. iTunes has put them all in the same folder on my hard drive, like it should.

All the other tracks in iTunes are fine. I've quit and reloaded, I've also tried sorting by song name then re-sorting by artist. No go. Does anyone have any idea why they're out of order? And, more importantly, does anyone know how to fix it?

stoid

macrumors 601
Well, the purchased tracks also have the artwork in their id3 tag, that could be throwing it off. That seems unlikely though. Does it seem that it is still sorting by iTMS vs non-iTMS tracks (are all the purchased tracks at the beginning or end of the list?)

Nermal

Original poster
Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
No, it doesn't seem to sort by whether the tracks came from iTMS - some of the first 'set' of tracks are from my own CDs, yet some from the second set are from the same CD. There are iTMS tracks in both sets. This has me baffled!

Nermal

Original poster
Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
They're all identical. I selected the entire lot and re-tagged them 'in bulk,' ensuring that they all have the same tags. Except for the track numbers of course :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.