iTunes - transfer from PC and synchronisation

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ScoobyDoofus, Sep 17, 2006.

1. ScoobyDoofus macrumors member

Ok, so I have two Macbooks on order, due for delivery by the 25th, and I'm very excited. I ordered the 2ghz white model, standard ram and hdd, and I ordered 2ghz of ram and a 120gb hdd for each of them which I will install myself.

Currently, my iTunes library is stored on an external hard drive (cos there was too much to comfortably fit on my crappy PC, let alone my partner's laptop). I wrote a tiny bit of code to either backup or restore the .xml and .itl files to/from a folder on the networked hard drive. That way, as long as only one of us accesses iTunes at once, and restores the backup before they begin and backs up when they finish, we don't each have to add music to our computers, it's already in the library. This works ok.

I am gonna want to put all the music on each of the Macbooks so that we can take it with us out and about.

First problem. The iTunes library is currently pointing to "z:/music/". If I just copy the music and the iTunes library as is onto a Macbook, is it going to be able to find where the music is? I want to keep playlists and playcounts etc.

Second problem. We both add music from whichever source, but we like to keep the same music. How can we do this easily? I looked at ourtunes and it seemed promising, but I read somewhere that it doesn't work with iTunes 7.

Also, I was looking at clutter. The website seems kind of out of date. Does it still work with iTunes 7?

Thanks in advance!

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

First Solution: On the new computer tell the preferences what music folder you are going to put your music into. Copy the music into that folder. Find the iTunes folder in your music folder and place your iTunes library and .xml files in there (replace the newly created ones).

Second Solution: You want to keep your music synced on both computers? I don't have a great automated solution and say to just copy the newest files to whichever computer you need. Or wait for some iTunes helper progs to get updated for version 7 (ourTunes is free so it is worth a shot).

Finally, Clutter works great still (most thorough). There is also Corripio that adds lyrics as well as artwork but requires a little bit of babysitting with the artwork (choosing the right artwork when multiple items are found). Or just register an iTunes account and let iTunes add the art for you (definitely the easiest but not the most accurate).

3. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

This guide should help.

http://guides.macrumors.com/Copying_Music_from_your_old_PC_to_new_Mac

B

4. ScoobyDoofus thread starter macrumors member

Thanks a lot for the advice. That guide looks comprehensive, thanks. I will be sure to read some more of those while I'm waiting for our Macbooks to arrive.

5. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Hey I just found this program Syncopation. It looks like it is made to sync music from one mac to another. Exactly what you were looking for I believe.

6. ScoobyDoofus thread starter macrumors member

Groovy, looks good!

Has anyone tried it out? How does it work?

7. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

That's your job Scooby. Then you tell us how it works ;)
    (If I had a similar configuration I'd definitely let you know, but I don't)

8. ScoobyDoofus thread starter macrumors member

Well, as soon as the macbooks actually arrive, we'll try it out. Hopefully that will be sometime this century...feels like I've been waiting forever!