iTunes: Transferring songs on home network between computers?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Veritas&Equitas, Oct 11, 2006.

1. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

Ok, I've got a bunch of songs on my PC desktop that I want to have on my Powerbook, but don't know a good way to transfer them, I can only play them via the built-in network searcher on iTunes, but can't have them permanently on my Powerbook when I need to go somewhere. I know about OurTunes, except the problem is that it doesn't work on wireless networks, which is what mine is. Does anyone know any other way/program that would allow me to transfer these songs across my network? Thanks!

2. Mydriasis macrumors 6502

Mydriasis

Manage the song files from within the finder or in your case the explorer and not from within iTunes.

Exsample: External hard drive

Open your iTunes Music Folder from within the finder then drag and drop those files to the external hard drive. Disconnect the drive. Reconnect on the other computer. Open iTunes and import the songs. Your done.

The same can be done with a public folder, usb stick, iPod, etc...

3. Veritas&Equitas thread starter macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

Thanks Mydriasis...I know all about external hd's, storage space, ipod transferring etc. Actually have 3 external 300 gb drives myself ;) I'm just looking for a way to transfer them via a network without having to get out the external hd's, plug them in, transfer, unplug, plug in, transfer...thanks for the help anyway!

4. slackersonly macrumors 6502a

slackersonly

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

If you have network sharing set up so that one of the computers can see part of the HD of the other, you can do what I do: I make a transfer folder on my desktop. Just drag the songs you want from the iTunes window to the transfer folder and they will copy there. Then just open this folder up and drag the files out on the other computer. You have to go back and trash the stuff in your transfer folder, but you do not have to go searching for the files in the iTunes library, which makes up for it for me. :)