iTunes TV Shows. How can I consolidate the view?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dbrewer80221, Jul 9, 2012.

1. dbrewer80221, Jul 9, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2012

macrumors regular

I have multiple seasons of various TV shows in iTunes. Each season has its own listing when you click on TV Shows. What I would like is for the view to condense the TV shows, then I could expand them to see the individual seasons and episodes. I'm attaching a link of what one TV show looks like in iTunes.

I've seen pictures of various people's iTunes libraries where they are condensed into listings of the show, with the seasons/episodes listed within them. I don't get how this is done because even when you buy multiple seasons on the iTunes store, they show up as separate entries in TV Shows.

Edit: Here is a screenshot of someone else's iTunes library, describing exactly what I'm looking for. It's old, but you get the idea:

http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=90828&d=1194653872

Attached Files:

2. thread starter macrumors regular

3. kgs
    macrumors regular

4. thread starter macrumors regular

Not exactly. Look at the screenshot of my library. You'll see that each Season is sorted into it's own album. Now look at the screenshot of some random person's library I found - you'll see that each show is an album, with the episodes ordered by season.

I'm trying to get my library organized like the second screenshot.

5. macrumors member

I believe that's just the way "it is" now. The random persons screenshot you reference is from an older version of iTunes. (I'm not 100% on that, but iirc...)

You might be able to fake it with some clever metadata shenanigans.

6. thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, I've been trying that. Like setting the "Album" on the TV shows to the title of the show- still separates them out.

Also makes it a PITA when browsing on Apple TV. Instead of seeing album artwork for each show, I'm seeing it for each season. So I have to go through 12 seasons of Are You Being Served? before I get to anything else, lol.

7. macrumors 68030

From A Buick 8

I gave up trying to configure my metadata in a way that would sort things correctly. I now just use smart list and smart list folders.

Attached Files:

8. macrumors member

I'm hoping this functionality comes in 11. Fingers crossed. It bugs me too (especially on the aTV)

9. thread starter macrumors regular

Looks like we got what we wanted! Look how organized that library is now! :)

Attached Files:

10. macrumors member

Yeah loving it. Hope it comes to the ATV as well.

11. macrumors 68030

From A Buick 8

Amen brother

12. macrumors regular

Cobra611

I would just go in and change the data myself when I added a full season of a show. You just have to be sure that the info is the same across all episodes...such as year, program title, episode number, and things like that. It took me a while to do all of mine manually. But, regardless it looks as though your question was answered.

13. thread starter macrumors regular

If you look at my screenshots, you'll notice the difference from iTunes 10 - 11. I didn't change any of the metadata in the files, because my library is already incredibly well organized. It was resolved simply by upgrading to iTunes 11 when it became available. :)