iTunes UK Movies and TV Soon?

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 8, 2007.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Arstechnica reports that according to "trusted sources", Apple plans on introducing Movies and TV shows for iTunes UK in a matter of weeks.

According to Ars, everything is set up and ready to go and is "just a matter of flipping the switch".

No details on which shows or movies would be available.

Article Link

2. Moderator emeritus

About bloody time... Corrie on iTunes, anyone? ;)

3. Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Hopefully the Beeb will get involved and channel 4. Although 4 already has 40D.

4. macrumors Core

Dagless

Hopefully BBC shows will be free, but I can't see Apple being all for that.

Already have an EyeTV but this could be cool.

5. macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Interesting. I wonder if this is why the BBC are saying that there will be access to an iPlayer for Macs in September.

6. macrumors member

This is excellent news. Apple TV is now actually useful!

7. macrumors newbie

What about subtitles?

Now that movies and series are coming to iTunes in Europe, what do you think happens in non english speaking countries? How are subtitles handled?

8. macrumors regular

BBC shows would have to be free, if they are offered at all. The licence fee prevents them charging for shows we would receive for free otherwise.

Plus, given the whole iplayer thing, there would be a complete uproar (given the fact it only works on windows - therefore meaning Mac users would effectively be seen to be paying a 'mac tax' to watch them).

9. macrumors G3

bigandy

i thought they hadn't set a date :confused:

i've got the iPlayer on boot camp, but it's not all it's cracked up to be, methinks. needs a bit of work.

10. macrumors 68020

mainstreetmark

11. macrumors member

It costs money to watch BBC shows on BT Vision as they are provided by BBC Worldwide (the commercial arm).

12. macrumors regular

That and Doctor Who and i'll be all set :)

13. macrumors 6502a

AndyR

14. macrumors 6502

They can charge for shows, they charge for DVD's what's the difference?

15. macrumors 6502a

16. macrumors 6502a

mac 2005

Hard to say because some of the file sizes can be quite large, but Apple currently hosts a large number of free video and audio podcasts -- on the U.S. site anyway -- so I wouldn't rule it out.

17. macrumors member

That's not exactly true, as the BBC does sell DVDs of it's shows on a commercial basis in the UK. iTunes Store is just another way of selling that content, so they can charge what they like.

18. macrumors regular

I haven't seen BT Vision, so not sure how it's set up, but are they old shows or current shows (i.e replays of whatever was on last night). I was almost certain the BBC couldn't charge for something we already pay for, and if they are, then it's bang out of order in my view.

Well, thats different because you actually get a tangible product for your money.

19. macrumors Core

Dagless

This is what is confusing. Doctor Who DVDs contain 2-3 episodes and cost the same as any other DVD in the high street. Why would the BBC have them on iTunes for free?

What about channels that bought repeats of Who, like UKTV Gold (or whatever they're called), they've been airing not too old BBC shows. I can't imagine them being happy...

20. Guest

calculus

Ooh, yes please!

21. macrumors 6502a

About time, but let's hope they do it right - a good selection and not just UK specific content. The iTunes store for music was initially very limited when started in the UK, and even now there is stuff I would like that's on the US site that isn't listed on the UK site.

22. macrumors 6502a

jimN

I don't see why they can't charge for something. The iPlayer allows you to watch shows broadcast within the last 7 days. I would rather have the option of paying to own higher quality versions of that content to watch at my leisure and to view how I want to - ie on an iPod, apple TV or the iPhone (when it finally appears). Similarly I'd be happy to do this for some of their radio stuff too, and they could certainly make a lot of their back catalogue available for distribution in this manner. They recently took the Now Show podcast off its trial and when I emailed them about this I pointed out that I'd be happy to pay a small fee to have something like this to listen to at my convenience (currently it's on listen again but you have to be online and the quality is poorer than it was). The tone of their reply suggested that payment might not be out of the question.

The license fee as it stands does not include allowing the license payer to download digital content to use as they see fit and to therefore expect the BBC to provide shows for free is unreasonable (although that's not to say it would be unwelcome). I hope that they can get all the terrestrial broadcasters on board as none of their current solutions support the Mac.

23. macrumors member

About time! I reckon other iTunes stores will also see an upgrade - HD all round! I'm sure the BBC could offer some shows for free, maybe they'll come up with an agreement with Apple to use its DRM if the BBC hosts the shows on their servers - a bit like the way podcasts work currently.

24. macrumors regular

I agree that this would be worthwhile and I'd likely be prepared to pay for some of that content.

Having looked in to this a little more, it does seem I was wrong regarding the restrictions on the licence - my apologies.

I do feel however that we should have an 'opt out' on the licence fee now - i.e if you download or use iptv instead of terrestrial, you shouldn't have to pay the licence fee. However, thats probably a discussion for another thread.

25. macrumors 65816

eenu