iTunes update & iPod Troubles

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jbembe, Mar 7, 2007.

1. jbembe macrumors 6502a

I just updated my home computer to iTunes 7.1 and have had some trouble with syncing my iPod. When I first updated it, there was an error message telling me that I should plug in my iPod into a USB 2.0 port-- which is impossible for my older iMac and there are no adaptors:mad: :mad:

Now the iPod was not recognized on the computer and went to a default black screen with a silver apple logo. I restarted the computer and it synced, but it looks like the battery is out. Did the new update break the compatibility with my older mac so that the computer will no longer charge my iPod!?!? Has anyone else been having problems like this?

Argh. Help!

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

What sort of iPod do you have? If you just leave it plugged in for a good hour or three, is there any change in the capacity? Have you tried a different USB port? :)

3. nazmac21 macrumors 6502a

nazmac21

4. jbembe thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have the 80 gig video iPod. I don't know why it was bugging out but it made me panic because I don't have the best USB connection and it wasn't syncing right and ran out of battery. I charged it this afternoon and it looks better, but I hope it don't crash because it took me over 30 hours to load my music over USB 1.1!! I don't want to do that again!:eek:

5. nazmac21 macrumors 6502a

nazmac21

That sounds scary but always update your computer (repair permissions afterward). Software Updates are meant to fix problems not to create more.

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Okay, well maybe use Disk Utility to repair the drive next time it's plugged in. Disk Utility is in the Utilities folder and all you need to do is select the iPod from within the app and press Repair Disk or something similar. Sometimes this can help quirky behaving iPods. :)

7. bored911 macrumors 6502

bored911

try repairing permissions, but also restarting your ipod. Menu+select. good luck

8. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

If you happen to have UNO installed it messes up iTunes 7.1, so you'll need to disable it until they get it up to date.