iTunes using 2 hard drives

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by reykjavik, Jan 17, 2007.

1. reykjavik macrumors 6502

I have my itunes using solely my backup harddrive (too much content for my iMac hd). Is there any way I can get a second hard drive and have itunes recognize it as a spillover and use it?

Since itunes uses only its itunes music folder, is there some shortcut trick I can do to have a folder within it automatically save to a second hd?

any suggestions?

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

You can have songs in an folder on any hard drive in your iTunes library, just make sure that "Copy files to iTunes Music folder when adding to library" is unchecked in iTunes preferences.

Then, the only use for the iTunes Music folder is it will be where iTunes will put songs when you rip/buy them, but you can move them to anywhere else you choose after that and they will play in the library just fine.

3. reykjavik thread starter macrumors 6502

ok, so if I have a video on my second backup hd, and I drag and drop the video/music into itunes then it will just associate it with that hard drive even though everything else is coming from the itunes music folder?

4. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Yes, as long as you don't have the "Copy files to iTunes folder" box checked in preferences.