iTunes using up MORE than needed

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by UmaThurman, Nov 10, 2006.

1. UmaThurman macrumors regular

UmaThurman

Hi, I just transferred my music form my old pc to my mac with my ipod, and when I added the folder into my itunes library, it took up more memory. I only have 5.2 gb of songs, and it lists that under the itunes library. HOWEVER, under my HD, the folder is 10.4 gigs. What gives? Why did it take double the hd space??? :confused:

2. UmaThurman thread starter macrumors regular

UmaThurman

Okay, wow for some reason I see that it duplicated the files under each folder. Is there any quick way I can go about deleting one of the copies?

3. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Somehow you added the music twice. Try a Spotlight search for some of the songs. Are they there in two locations?

4. UmaThurman thread starter macrumors regular

UmaThurman

No, they are in teh same location. I drug them form the iPod to the music folder, then when that got done I opened up itunes and "add to library" the iTunes folder. I see that there are duplicates becuase there is 2 files of each, e.g. "blah blah" and "blah blah 2". I tried deleting one of each,a nd it seems that itunes is using the duplicate file, the ones with "2" attached. I really don't want to have to go through and delete every single one... ugh that would take forever

5. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

In the iTunes preferences, it is set default to "Keep Music Folder organized", meaning it copies anything you add into iTunes into it's own structured organizational folder. You should have turned this off before importing your music into iTunes. however I too have gotten confused by this before.

I suggest that you remove all music from your computer, turn off the option in iTunes, and put it back into your iTunes folder (from where ever you had it backed up), and therefore not allowing iTunes to duplicate it all.

EDIT: The reason this function is implemented in iTunes in the first place is because if people were adding music files from their desktop, documents folder, etc. into iTunes, the music in your library would be scattered all over the place, making it hard to find the actual files if needed. With the Keep Organized option turned on, a copy of anything added is moved to the iTunes Music Folder so if you need to backup your Music or something, it's all in 1 easy to find location. After you turn this feature off to import your initial songs there, I would turn it back on, as it's pretty useful. Unless you're good at putting things in the iTunes music folder and keeping them there.

6. UmaThurman thread starter macrumors regular

UmaThurman

really really appreciate that ITASOR. Thanks again y'all. :)