iTunes v.s. Zune

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by CANEHDN, Jul 28, 2006.

1. CANEHDN macrumors 6502a

Dec 12, 2005
    Eagle Mountain, UT
  2. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

Jan 6, 2004
    Raleigh, NC
    Wow, reading that made my IQ drop a little. Its funny how he says MS is going to do so much better with Zune when we haven't gotten any DETAILS about it. Actually, knowing MS THEY don't even know what the hell they're going to do with it.

iTunes is a usability nightmare?! Compared to what, Media Player?? Give me a break.
  3. steamboat26 macrumors 65816

May 25, 2006
    Arlington VA
    Shouldn't the title be more like ipod vs zune?
    Anyways, i agree, this guy is all for microsoft, but i will concede that he has some valid points. Whenever i run itunes on a PC it is really slow and buggy, but on my mac, it works perfectly.
    Also, the XBOX did have an impact, but not as big as he is making it sound. First of all, microsoft never made any money on the XBOX. Although it was about getting their name on the map for gaming, losing money is rarely considered a success. Also, when you look at the numbers, 100 million PS2s shipped, vs 24 million XBOXs shipped, vs. 21 million Gamecubes shipped (just for comparison), the XBOX didn't make that big of a dent in Sony.
    Does this guy really think that MS is gonna allow you to download a song more than once because you lost it? I seriously doubt it...
    He complains about the price of music being to high, yet record companies have gotten on apples case for making music too cheap! music for the zune will cost the same if not more than itunes, which i believe has very reasonable prices.
    If his experience with ipod/itunes was that bad, he probably just got a bad ipod, and was too stupid to replace it.
  4. nutman macrumors regular

May 19, 2006
    i love the internet. it brings all the stupid people into one convenient room.
  5. Benjamin macrumors 6502a

Oct 27, 2003
    Portland, OR
    he says some stuff.. mb valid or not... everything is based on rumors atm... and last... he hasn't made the switch to anything else like playforsure.. :rolleyes:
  6. Xavier macrumors 68020

Mar 23, 2006
    I love how they said that iTunes was too expencive, but then that iTunes should use variable pricing so that some songs/albums are higher priced.

Lets just hope Microsoft doesn't try to create a music store.
  7. Benjamin macrumors 6502a

Oct 27, 2003
    Portland, OR
    They have done that already, URGE...... and plus they created PlayForSure that is currently on, NapsterToGo, MSNMusic, AOLMusicNow, and five other online vendors use it as a platform to provide music service.
  8. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

Jan 6, 2004
    Raleigh, NC
    Heh, URGE... I love it how when the word of this Zune thing hit the streets they announced they would also do their own version of iTMS. When.... they already had one... Actually URGE was their second if I remember correctly. Third time's a charm?

As long as they pick someone else to help announce it than Justin Timberlake...
  9. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

Aug 9, 2000
    ...and gives them each a microphone.
  10. Counterfit macrumors G3

Aug 20, 2003
    sitting on your shoulder
    That is THE WORST article I have ever read. I mean, Paul Thurott is at least going to wait until there's something solid to actually base this on (I hope), instead of announcements (And we all know how MS is with those).

Also, he blames the labels for variable pricing not existing in iTunes, when they've been on Steve for months now about it.
    My verdit: Whoever wrote that article is a complete and utter tool. I hope not many people actually listen to him.
  11. telecomm macrumors 65816

Nov 30, 2003
    I love the "5% is a decent first-year failure rate, but 5% of 8.1 million is a big number!" argument. :D

This could be used in a statistics or a critical thinking class to illustrate ridiculous misuses of statistics.
  12. Deepdale macrumors 68000

May 4, 2005
    New York
    And let's not forget the soapbox.
  13. Mord macrumors G4

Aug 24, 2003
    funny how he says apple uses a proprietary file format with itunes, aac is open, fairplay is not but the format the music is, compared to WMA which is the most locked down audio codec available.

the guy is a douche.

oh and the quality issues how is pointing out that although the ipod has a low failure rate they sell like hot cakes so allot of people complain, he's essentially disproving himself.

and how exactly can he criticize the search in itunes, it's freaking instant

oh and what type of idiot does not make backups of their HD and claims to be a tech writer.
  14. cwedl macrumors 65816

Jun 5, 2003
    iTunes = TOO EXPENSIVE

Thats not always the case, quite a few times now, the albums on iTunes have been cheaper than anywhere else I could find online, expecially the imports. "Don Maclean the best of" £39 on Amazon - £9.99 on iTunes!

Some of the best songs are the oldest! Steve Jobs fought to have all the songs the same price, its simple and if Record execs had their way, new songs would cost a lot more, besides most music download sites have the same model!

iTunes = UNFORGIVING
    I'm sorry but when you download a song it reminds you to back up, besides in this day in age, you should be backing up. I have a automated systems that do this every week! OH!! and his Dell laptop broke down! well if he wasn't so PC centric he may have had all his songs still if he had bought a Mac! hehe. Buy an external harddrive and backup that way, don't rely on CD's whats the point!

Well thats his opinion! I love iTunes, maybe its harder for PC users to use as its too logical! I personal can't stand Media Player, I went to rip a cd and found it took a bit to time to learn how to use it! If you like black depressing programs thats fine. everything in iTunes is in front of you and I have had no problems in searching for songs, he must be using iTunes 3.0.

iPod = CRASH

How does he know that the Zune player will not crash! knowing the products Microsoft releases it will probably over heat! iPods can Freeze (not crash!!!) but they normally recover! I have to be honest as well I have not had any problems with my iPods!

iPod = FALSE DAWN

"And then my Dell laptop stopped working, so now I’ve lost 40% of my digital music collection"

Firstly your PC broke down so what has that got to do with your iPod, oh right that won't happen if you had your Zune player right? secondly you lost 40% of your music? go to your backup then, oh right you didn't do one!

Okay only 60% of your music collection downloaded to the iPod, maybe it was full up?

iPod = UNETHICAL?

I can't say much here, he won? oh well, I suppose the fact that Microsoft has put loads of companies out of business, doesn't matter. Besides is it really Apples fault? they are/were investigating because they we unaware about the situation.

AAC offers much more than WMA including more accurate sound reproduction at the same bit rate, and not discarding about 1/5 of the frequencies we can hear to reduce space. The iPod can play other formats as well. MP3 and wav for starters! Why would anyone want to listen to WMA! Its just the case that more people use windows media player and they don't really care what file format it rips into.

Firstly you mostly only hear all the bad things that have happened to iPods not the good things usually, bad things make for more interesting reading. (why do you think that whats on the news is normally about who killed who?)
    5% failure rate, regardless of how many peoples iPods have broken down if 30% failure rate within the first year the iPod is doing well. why use figures to make it sound worst than it actually is?

iPod = NOT ZUNE!(Durrr! Welldone!)

I'm sorry if it has taken Microsoft 5 years to make a product that looks like a cross between an old iPod and an apple newton! it will take probably more than 5 years to start competing. By that time, Apple would have moved on, everyones life will be in a phone style device, not a music, video device.

The End, Just thought I would have my say!
  15. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Nov 3, 2005
    I think he's pissed because he didn't back up his files, i imagine Microsoft backs up all his word documents and excel files for him :rolleyes:
  16. CANEHDN thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dec 12, 2005
    Eagle Mountain, UT
    I love MacRumors:Forums. This place has the best people in it.
  17. drummerbooker14 macrumors 6502

Jul 11, 2006
    this guy is an idiot. he says there have been reports of scratchy surfaces. wow he must be deep on the inside. ipods getting scratched, that's an inevitability. and it will never work because they came in too late in the game. so he's an idiot
  18. aristobrat macrumors G4

Oct 14, 2005
    Regarding losing 40% of his library because he "didn't get around to backing it up", had he written an email to iTunes Customer Service, they would have allowed him to redownload his entire library "one time only", with a stern warning attached about backing it up. :rolleyes:
  19. iMeowbot macrumors G3

Aug 30, 2003
    Wow, that looks just like the stuff being circulated by those b---lounge pyramid freaks! I hope that MS didn't pay for that blather.
  20. cwedl macrumors 65816

Jun 5, 2003
    Whow! didn't know that, you learn something new everyday!
  21. rjphoto macrumors 6502a

Mar 7, 2005
    who want's to bet that the 40% he lost was illeagally downloaded or copied?
  22. Lixivial macrumors 6502a

Jan 13, 2005
    Between cats, dogs and wanderlust.
    10 reasons why I'll swap my iPod for a Zune

Please do. I'll be happy to see the likes of this Chris Lake leave the fold. :)
  23. redfire macrumors member

Jun 30, 2006
    Just to play the devil's advocate

3. iTunes = UNFORGIVING

Is it true that the only way to backup your music, that was purchased off iTunes, is by burning it to a CD? That is kind of ridiculous, that you can't just copy it over to another computer and later authorize it to play.

I wasn't sure if he was specifically talking about the music store or just the player in general, but in my opinion the player is pretty awful. I'm a switcher, and compared to winamp, iTunes is too controlling. What I mean is, lets say you want to do this in a certain way, well iTunes wants you to do it this way. I'm all for keeping things simple, but iTunes makes it so simple that it becomes complicated. That's just the player, the store is just fine though.

5. iPod = CRASH.

On a completely unrelated note, my PC rarely crashes (maybe once a month), but in the first month of having my macbook it has crashed 5 times on me. Although, I admit that it was my first time using a mac, so it might have been my fault. I don't have an iPod so I can't really say anything about it.

DRM sucks, plain and simple. I actually refuse to upgrade iTunes on my PC, because I still want to be able to rip out the DRM (later upgrades prevent a certain program from working). The point is that I don't have an iPod, and I want to buy music off iTunes and play it on my iRiver. iTunes only lets you play music on the iPod, I'm sorry but I don't want an iPod. At least Microsoft is giving you an alternative, “planning to let you download for free any songs you've already bought from the iTunes Music Store”.

I know I'm probably not going to get much support here for this post, but try to look at it from another side.
  24. aristobrat macrumors G4

Oct 14, 2005
    No, that's not true. You can copy your iTMS music anywhere you want (a data CD, a data DVD, another computer, a network share, etc).

You make good points about WinAMP, but you're not going to be able to sit my parents down and teach them how to RIP and burn a CD with WinAMP. iTunes and Windows Media Player are both a PITA to use because like you said, they've made things so easy that it's become complicated. However, since Zune is going to be aimed at people like my parents, I really doubt if you like WinAMP that you're going to like what Zune's PC programs is going to look like.

Microsoft's alternative isn't likely to be DRM free. If they do let you "download for free any songs you already bought from the iTMS", then you're likely only to be able to use them on the Zune, which means your iRiver is SOL unless someone creates a "certain program" for Zune's DRM. Point being, you may be in a different DRM boat than iTunes, but you're still in a boat.
  25. redfire macrumors member

Jun 30, 2006

Well that's good to hear! :)

Well to tell you the truth, for portable music devices I prefer UMS or drag and drop. Not because I'm a pirate or whatever, but it's a lot simpler. Instead of having to work through a program, you decide how your music is sorted and you don't have foul ups like accidently deleting your entire library from your iPod or computer (had a few friends that have done it).

But you are correct with the learning curve for those who aren't computer savy, if it were up to me I would make it optional to use iTunes to move music onto the iPod.

Well unless Microsoft switches from fairplay I would bet that it will still work with my iRiver. Even if they did switch DRM, newer players from iRiver or Creative will support it. Like just recently with URGE, the iRiver Clix works with it, and so do some other players. What I'm trying to say is that you aren't stuck with just one player, you have options.