Itunes Versus Album sales Need Info

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by watcher2001, Feb 27, 2006.

1. watcher2001 macrumors 6502a

Mar 9, 2005
    38° 12'47.72" N 85° 31'54.63" W
    I am looking for links with hard facts on how much an artist makes off of iTunes versus what they would make off of a physical album sale. A guy I work with states that iTunes rips off artists and they make hardly any money at all. One would think that without having to deal with packaging, marketing, and getting the product to stores there would be much less overhead to sell via iTunes. That being said you would think the Artist would make the same amount, if not more off of an iTunes album sale versus a store purchase. Oh well that is my opinion. Is there anyone out there that has links to sites with Hard data? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  2. crackpip macrumors regular

Jul 23, 2002
    I don't have any sites for hard data (I don't think Apple releases much hard data on the iTMS), but if artists are getting screwed by anyone it's the record labels. It is generally accepted that the record labels get about 2/3 of the sales proceeds, Apple getting the remaining 1/3. Apple, however has to pay all the costs for maintain the store (bandwidth, accounting, etc). The result is Apple makes only a few cents per track.

So if the artists are getting screwed by downloads, it's just one more way the record labels are raping artists in their already large repertoire of unethical and sometimes illegal business practices.

<Lugash>I hate the content distributers so much.</Lugash>

3. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Apr 22, 2004
    San Diego, CA
    I have an album on iTunes (see sig.) and I was just checking this out for you. It seems I get about 45¢ for each download on Itunes, but more like 50¢ a song if you buy it on Amazon. I'm not saying this is representative of most major bands and distribution companies, but I think it's fair to say that the profit is about the same on each, depending on the actually album, though.