iTunes Visualiser Framerates

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jMc, Jun 24, 2005.

1. jMc macrumors 6502

jMc

Hi All

Does anyone know if iTunes uses software rendering for it's visualisations rather than offloading the majority of it's visualisation work to the graphics card?

Just trying to work out why I'm getting less than 20fps on the iTunes standard visualiser on my B&W 350 with 64mb Radeon 7000. The low fps would seem to suggest a limitation of the CPU, as I could get 25fps+ on an old G3 iMac 600 (16mb Rage 128 Pro card).

jx

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Whatever it is, it's crap. I'm fairly certain it's not offloaded onto the GPU.
    Let me put it this way, I'm currently on a dual 1.25GHz MDD, with a stock 64MB video card, and I'm getting an average of ~18.5 FPS. As far as I'm concerned, the visualizer always looks ****** and is only "cool" for pot heads and trippers. ;)

3. Fukui macrumors 68000

Fukui

Turn visualization on in window mode, click the gears icon in the top right, and choose Use OpenGL.

OpenGL is actually slower than CPU mode in window, but full screen is faster, about 2x.

4. Darwin macrumors 65816

Darwin

The frame cap for me isn't really working, when I'm saying to cap at 30fps it actually goes to around 18fps but when I turn it off I can get 21fps +

5. Oryan macrumors 6502a

Oryan

Is there a limit to the framerate? I have a dual 2.0 GHz G5 with a Radeon 9600 XT but iTunes says I have a constant 30 fps in fullscreen mode.

6. jMc thread starter macrumors 6502

jMc

Sounds like you've got frame rate capping on. Use 'T' while in iTunes visuals to toggle the capping on/off.

Back to the original topic - I checked my prefs and I already had OpenGL on, so I'm just gonna put it down to the fact it's an old slow processor...

jx

7. evil_santa macrumors 6502a

evil_santa

30Fsp Capped 62FPS Uncapped, and wow it looks nice in a 23" cinema display. Using a G5 2x2.7 with 9650 video card.