Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

supertex

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 16, 2003
Louisiana State University
I need to change the resolution of the visualizer to 1024x768 from 640x480 so I can run it through an old projector that I'm borrowing for a party. I'm going to be running the music for the party on one iBook and the visualizers with no music over a projector with another iBook. One is a 12" 500mhz G3, the other a 14" 1Ghz G4. Does anyone know if either of these is capable of running the visualizers at 1024x768, or if any machine can even do so. I don't really care what it takes, even if it requires some command line work, I'm comfortable with that. I'll be running the video through a VGA adapter. Oh, the 500 has an 8MB video card, rather than the 16MB one, the 14" has a 32MB card. Any help is appreciated.

White iBook 500; Mac OS X (10.3.x); Combo Drive/640 MB RAM

MoparShaha

Contributor
May 15, 2003
San Francisco
I don't think you can run it any higher than 640x480. Why would you want to run it higher? The projector will be able to display 640x480 at fullscreen. Anyways, I don't think either of those iBooks would be able to give you a decent frame rate at 1024x768 even if you did get it to work. If you're concerned about image quality, just uncheck the "Faster but rougher display" in the options for the visualizer.

supertex

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 16, 2003
Old Projector

it's a borrowed older projector, and it doesn't change resolutions when the computer does to display the visualizations, so what happens is I get the visualizer up in the left-hand corner of the screen.

MoparShaha

Contributor
May 15, 2003
San Francisco
Ah, okay.

Here's what you can do. Go to System Preference>Universal Access. Click "Turn On Zoom". Click "Zoom Options" and set the "Maximum Zoom" to 2, and put "Minimum Zoom" at 0. Now, go to iTunes. Turn off the Full Screen option for the visualizer, so the visualizer is in the iTunes window. Resize the iTunes window so it's kinda like a square. Turn on the visualizer and place your cursor in the middle of the iTunes window. Now, press Command, Option, and the "+" keys all at the same time. The screen will zoom into the iTunes window, and you can keep on zooming untill there is nothing on the screen other than the visualizer. This way, it will emulate full screen, but still be at 1024x768. To get back to normal, press Command, Option, and the "-" key.

supertex

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 16, 2003
Sweet!

Sometimes, when I get the right answer, I feel really dumb for not figuring it out myself... Anyway, thanks a bunch, that works great! The only minor setback is that in order to have the visualizer centered, the mouse will show up right in the center of the screen, but hey, it's leaps and bounds ahead of where I was!

MoparShaha

Contributor
May 15, 2003
San Francisco
Cool, I'm glad it worked out. To minimize the visibility of the cursor, go back to the Universal Access preference pane. Click "Zoom Options" and at the bottom, click "Only when the pointer reaches an edge". This will make it so you can move the cursor to the edge of the screen without the center of zoom shifting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.