iTunes Visualizer on 2nd Monitor

Discussion in 'Mac Applications and Mac App Store' started by wade167, Mar 16, 2004.

1. macrumors newbie

Can iTunes project the Visualizer onto a 2nd monitor (with a dual monitor setup) but keep the controls on the main monitor? Thanks for any help....

2. macrumors 6502

As far as I know... no!
    (then again my last experience with dual monitor setups was with iTunes 3 and 10.1 , but I don't think anything changed)

3. macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

it doesn't seem possible, but i would like to know if it is possible not to have the screen without visuals go dark. would be nice sometimes to keep working a little bit...

4. macrumors 68040

jxyama

yeah, wondering about this myself... i think the best you can do is drag a maximized copy of an iTunes window to the second screen and run visualizer on it...

bummer too. at parties, it would be nice to project the visualizer in full screen onto a TV while being able to DJ on the computer...

5. thread starter macrumors newbie

That's what I'm talking about!!!

I use a dual monitor setup for my church every Saturday night when we have family centered program called "Kidstuff". Everyone love the Visualizer but I'm locked out until I pull it off, leaving a blue projected screen that's waiting for the next skit. Is there anything else out there that can do this without locking me out of the primary monitor?

6. macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    not sure if this will work but could you do it using the iTunes track app that's on version tracker?

It can sit in your toolbar and lets you change track forwards or backwards or pause it. You could have visualiser on one screen and then do basic controls from the menu bar?

7. macrumors 68040

jxyama

iirc, when the full screen visualizer is turned on in one of the screens, the other screen simply goes black. no menu bar, nothing...

8. macrumors regular

NO! you can't.

post feedback to apple, request this feature, i want it too.

9. macrumors newbie

There IS a (ugly) way to do it.

Depending on your monitor resolutions/setup, you can drag a large visualizer window so that it appears to fill a second screen. I used to do this with the Radeon 7000 PCI card in a souped-up sawtooth that was hooked up to my TV/home entertainment setup. Your processor and video will greatly impact the performance when you do this.

10. macrumors 6502a

IDANNY

has anyone found a way to do this yet? With itunes 8 : )

11. macrumors 6502a

kdum8

I don't know of a way either but it would be a great feature. Frankly given how popular and ubiquitous iTunes has become, I am surprised that Apple has not developed it more frankly. There is a lot of room for improvement. I don't feel they have developed it to the level that they have with Aperture or Logic Studio, Final Cut Pro etc. It may be a consumer music player but there is so much more that could be done to improve it.

Having said that though, I still think it is the best of the bunch out there for mac. ;)

12. macrumors 65816

Turn on Video Mirroring. Just tested this and it works.

13. macrumors 6502a

kdum8

If you mean mirror the second monitor so that it replicates exactly the first this is not what the OP is asking and isn't much use. Unless you are referring to something else?

14. macrumors 65816

It does exactly what the OP is asking, and what everyone in this thread is discussing, and is of very much use: displaying the visualizer on both screens.

Obviously keeping one screen with controls isn't going to happen.

15. macrumors 6502a

kdum8

I hate to be pedantic but no it doesn't. OP: "Can iTunes project the Visualizer onto a 2nd monitor (with a dual monitor setup) but keep the controls on the main monitor?"

He/she asks if the visualizer can go onto a second screen, (not both), and keep the controls on the main. So it doesn't do "exactly" what the OP is asking.

Anyway, no matter. ;)

16. macrumors 65816

You could use an iPhone/iPod Touch for the controls with Apple Remote ;)

17. macrumors 6502a

IDANNY

has anyone had any luck we do have a new version of itunes now I tried personally and had no luck.

Thanks for any help
    -Idanny

18. macrumors newbie

iPhone Remote does it!

Thanks for the tip. Using an iPhone with the Remote app worked great. I've tried it a little and haven't seen any problems yet.

The other options (zooming, partial windows, etc) are junk; don't waste your time other than this option.

19. macrumors newbie

Sunny247

I WAS LOOKING AT THIS THREAD IN HOPES FOR A SOLUTION BUT CAME UP WITH A METHOD TO MAKE THIS HAPPEN:

1. Enter Visualizer (command+T)
    2. Enter Mission Control (I swipe Up on my trackpad with 4 fingers)
    3. Click and Drag the Visualizer screen to the Monitor you want to display it on. (I use 3 finger drag method)

Simple solution to a frustrating desire. Now I can compute with the visualizer and music YES!

20. macrumors 65816

Partron22

With "Displays have separate spaces" unchecked in mission control, you can run Visualizer maximized, not full screen, on second display, and have mini-player window on main display