Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Earlier this month, a new Kickstarter-funded documentary debuted on iTunes covering the intriguing history of the popular Amiga computer. Directed by Zach Weddington, Viva Amiga tells the story of how the Amiga project was started in 1985, and successfully captures the excitement of developers and users for what was considered a game-changing platform at the time.

The documentary features interviews with key Amiga engineers as well as some interviews with Amiga users (some of whom continue to use Amigas today), and charts the tremendous highs and incredible lows of the platform over the ensuing decades.

597856620_1280x720-800x450.jpg

In 1985, an upstart team of Silicon Valley mavericks created a miracle: the Amiga computer. A machine made for creativity. For games, for art, for expression. Breaking from the mold set by IBM and Apple, this was something new. Something to change what people believed computers could do.

From the creation of the world's first multimedia digital art powerhouse, to a bankrupt shell sold and resold into obscurity, to a post-punk spark revitalized by determined fans. Viva Amiga is a look at a digital dream and the freaks, geeks and geniuses who brought it to life.
Acquired by Commodore in 1984 for an estimated $30 million, the multimedia Amiga computer created a stir in Silicon Valley, thanks to accelerated graphics and advanced audio hardware that leapfrogged the competition.

Steve Jobs reportedly became worried about the buzz surrounding the Amiga, because the machine used the same Motorola 68000 processor as the Macintosh, but with its 4,096-color display output, 4-channel sampled stereo sound and multi-tasking GUI, it made the year-old Macintosh look seriously dated.

During an event held at the Computer History Museum, California, where Viva Amiga got its first showing, Amiga Corp. investor Bill Hart confirmed that Steve Jobs took an early interest in the Amiga, and visited the group to watch a demo of what would later become the Amiga 1000. An Apple buyout was even floated, but Jobs reportedly never took the proposition seriously.

Ultimately, little came of the visit, which was later described as a "fishing expedition" for Jobs. Despite being integrated into just three chips, the machine had too much hardware for the Apple CEO's liking, while its full-bus-access expansion port was anathema to Jobs' pursuit of a closed architecture system.

Despite some successes - notably, the best-selling Amiga 500 home computer, introduced in 1987 - poor marketing and an inability to reproduce the heights of early innovations led to the Amiga losing market share to game consoles, IBM PCs, and Apple computers, and Commodore ultimately went bankrupt in April 1994.

Viva Amiga is available to buy for $9.99 or rent for $4.99 on iTunes. [Direct Link]

Article Link: iTunes Documentary 'Viva Amiga' Charts the History of the Upstart Apple Rival That Had Steve Jobs Worried

Telos101

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2016
Ireland
10+ years for a platform marketed by Commodore, who couldn't sell a shoestring in China, isn't too bad, I reckon.

I had an Amiga 500, then a 500+, and finally an Amiga 1200. Best computing years of my life.

I bought a 20MB hard drive for the 500+. It was basically an extension that slotted onto the side of the keyboard, and I filled it with games. Still remember the excitement of playing Mortal Kombat without having to constantly swap the eight floppies it came on (even between finish moves!).

Thanks for this!

Last edited:

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Amiga was a spectacular computer in it's day.

It crushed monochrome DOS-based PCs and was priced well below the "expensive" Macintosh that were still mostly viewed as monochrome (and tiny screens) too. The local computer store carried all 3 platforms and it appeared to be so far ahead with color graphics, sound and animation.

With both PCs and Macs monochrome, Amiga was like color TV for lower cost rolling out to compete with Black & White TVs. Just the variable of "color" was enough to be the "killer app" when comparing it to the more established players at the time... but the Amiga was so much more than PC-DOS (no Windows yet) or the Mac OS in color.

The "bouncing ball" demo amazed...

The (32-color) King Tut image from Deluxe Paint was a mesmorizing, digital Mona Lisa at that time. Not only could one create such graphics IN COLOR, but the palette was big enough to offer this crazy thing called painting in color GRADIENTS...

dpaint2.jpg

At the time, one might see spot color in print, such as adding one shade of red to a B&W print ad. On Amiga, you could make that same ad and if red was all you needed, you could use 30 (THIRTY!) variants of red. Crrrrrrrazy.

Then, this thing called "halfbrite" mode (I think) upped that to 64 colors, and then "hold & modify" mode opened up 4096 colors. At school, PC screens were still generally green or amber (insert Ford paraphrase: "you can have any color on a PC as long as it is green or amber"). The Mac labs had tiny-screened Macs with only shades of gray... superior to PCs for at least having a range of colors... but they were colorless.

I remember the same King Tut image being recreated on a Mac... in grayscale... and while it looked great on a Mac too, grayscale vs. color was a "what's the point?" moment for anyone looking to buy a computer at that time.

Amiga's "hold & modify" mode could be used for animations too. When exploited, it whammed anyone interested in color graphic animation from a computer with the ray-traced "Juggler" demo in 4096 colors (a mind-blower at the time). Looking back at it now...

...it doesn't look so special but back then it was basically showing a computer could create a new world, what appeared to be 3D characters in that world (that even cast shadows) and have them moving around with sampled sound choreographed with on-screen actions. Juggler begged for concepts like Ray tracing and similar to come to the masses in apps and several good ones quickly followed. Could the inspiration and then implementation of a Pixar be very far behind?

It had a voice long before the others had much of anything that way. It could speak and with a voice one could understand. Every time I hear the Steven Hawking "voice" (even today) I recognize that as one of the voices of Amiga. I suspect that's where HE got it (but don't know that for sure).

It had standardized file formats so that one could share files between apps made by many different companies. The explosion of creative arts software to take advantage of Amiga was really helped along by being able to do some stuff in one app and then move the project into any number of other apps. It all "just worked."

Deluxe Paint and Deluxe Music Construction Set were very early killer apps. I remember taking an elective "arts" course in college and bringing in some original music I had created on an Amiga. DMCS let you compose in music notation and then print the music. I remember the music teacher being shocked when he found out I couldn't play a musical instrument but had written some original music anyway. "You wrote this on a computer?" By the end of that semester, I still couldn't play any instrument but got an "A" anyway on the strength of that (and probably lingering shock).

Games rivaled arcade machines at the time. I think some Amiga games made it into Arcade machines. And game developers really pushed that hardware to stand out from rivals. Arcade translations tended to look & sound just like the arcade games without compromises (except the insatiable hunger for quarters). Those games typically (& entirely) fit into 880K (yes "K") or less. They were tiny files but funnnnnnnnnnn games that looked & sounded great. One didn't have to spend hours or days (or dollars) building a character/car/plane/etc- we just ran the game and played it. Fun. Uncomplicated. Classic arcade without quarters.

If one wanted to learn to code, the native language with Amiga was C (I think well before the other platforms got there). The OS was loaded with callable routines to do relatively complex stuff in graphics, sound, animation, etc without having to know physics or calculus. Stock code libraries were a treasure trove for anyone wanting to code something interesting themselves.

Hardware offloaded complex tasks in graphics, sound & animation to coprocessors well before the others were doing that.

It had a terrific, real multitasking, icon/windows/mouse-based OS that entirely fit in 256K (later 512K) Yes that's "K." The whole OS was so compact that it was built into ROM and thus offered "instant on."

Early computer animators, graphic designers, etc could simply do much more with an Amiga than the other platforms at the time. For gamers, there was pretty much nothing better. Atari ST tried to be a poor man's Amiga and they all competed for gamers against platforms like Atari 5200 and Colecovision. Friends were always impressed with Amiga games and then soon owned an Amiga themselves.

Personally, I wish it could have made it. I'd love to see what a 2017 Amiga would be like.

Last edited:

frankmcma

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2008
Best computing years of my life! I wrote for Amazing Computing and other pubs and was immersed in everything Amiga for years, including using the Video Toaster at the cable studio I was running at the time. The graphic and video capabilities were fantastic for its day. Having one felt so very magical.

I watched the documentary as soon as it came on iTunes. Its good, I wish it was longer and dug deeper (I guess I really want a mini-series since there is so much ground to cover) but as a film on the rise of the Amiga and how the creators and fans reacted, its a great, sweet stroll down memory lane!

Here is a cover story I wrote on using the Amiga at my studio (back in 1990!)
https://archive.org/details/amazing-computing-magazine-1990-08

andyorkney

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2010
The Commodore Amiga was my favourite home computer after a possessing a ZX81, Spectrum, Oric 1 and Memotech MTX512. An Apple Computer was simply way outside my price range back then. The MTX512 was an interesting machine though as it was designed to make interfacing with electronics and robotics fairly easy.

I remember that the Amiga shipped without a hdd, and then paying a fortune for my first hard drive - an 80mb drive (yes MB not GB). Everyone I knew who was programming back then used the Amiga 500 or 600, though I knew a few guys who had the more expandable A4000. The Amiga was probably the first affordable hobby machine that made 3D object creation and rendering possible. The Amiga OS and GUI was also really well developed and fabulously intuitive compared with IBM clones. Between the death of my Amiga and finding Apple at the same time Steve Jobs returned to the company, I had built and used MS Windows machines, always wishing that I could use the Amiga OS on the hardware instead of Windows. Buying a used iMac for kids to use was my conversion moment, and it was the fact that OS X felt familiar and akin to Amiga OS that hooked me. The Amiga was a great machine, such a shame the company lost its way. Don't think until the advent of iOS and App Store that there was a platform as effective at producing programming efforts, and I don't think the percentage of consumers who become programmers or content creators will be greater than those who used the Amiga.

Last edited:

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
Despite being integrated into just three chips, the machine had too much hardware for the Apple CEO's liking, while its full-bus-access expansion port was anathema to Jobs' pursuit of a closed architecture system.
It'd be nice if this message popped up every time somebody was about to post a "Steve Jobs never would've…" comment in response to the removal of a port or further miniaturization of a Mac.

Pilgrim1099

Suspended
Apr 30, 2008
From the Midwest to the Northeast
Amiga was a spectacular computer in it's day.

It crushed monochrome DOS-based PCs and was priced well below "expensive" Macintosh's that were still mostly viewed as monochrome (and tiny screens) too. The local computer store carried all 3 platforms and it appeared to be so far ahead with color graphics, sound and animation.

The "bouncing ball" demo amazed... then came the ray-traced "Juggler" demo using 4096 colors (which was a mind-blower at the time). Juggler begged for concepts like Ray tracing and similar to come to the masses in apps and several good ones quickly followed.

It had a voice long before the others had much of anything that way.

It had standardized file formats so that one could share files between apps made by many different companies.

Deluxe Paint and Deluxe Music Construction Set were very early killer apps.

Games rivaled arcade machines at the time. And game developers really pushed that hardware to stand out from rivals. Arcade translations tended to look & sound just like the arcade games without compromises.

If one wanted to learn to code, the native language with Amiga was C (I think well before the other platforms got there).

Hardware offloaded complex tasks in graphics, sound & animation to coprocessors well before the others were doing that.

It had a terrific, real multitasking, windows-based OS that entirely fit in 256K (later 512K).

Early computer animators, graphic designers, etc could simply do much more with an Amiga than the other platforms at the time.

Personally, I wish it could have made it. I'd love to see what a 2017 Amiga would be like.

I was there when it came out in the 80s, having owned a Commodore 128 which I loved. But you said it was using the C+ language? I thought they used machine language that was seen on the C-64 ( my 128 had dual OSes ) and the reason I mention that was because I used to copy these lines of code from RUN magazine which I remember very well ( I think I've a few copies in my possession ).

But you're right, the Amiga was revolutionary at the time. Even earth-shattering until the PC/Mac market nose-dived, thanks to Nintendo's presence ( sarcasm intended ). I remember seeing one in person at a small computer store next door to my martial art dojo and seeing it for the first time. My jaw dropped. It wouldn't be until a few years later when I finally got a SEGA Genesis that would come close to arcade quality gaming.

I suspect the Amiga was either 16 or 32 bit and completely understand why Jobs was crapping in his pants about it. It would have been awesome if Commodore ever came back with a new OS ( I know they tried a couple years ago but haven't made much progress ) that's a better alternative than Windows and Mac.
[doublepost=1485100350][/doublepost]
Amiga 500 was my jam. They got gaming and joystick design right. Unreal gaming computer.

And I had a blazing 1mb or ram in it.

I was jealous of one classmate who had a newly redesigned Bard's Tale game for Amiga. One of my best memories playing the C-128 was due to that game in the 80s. That game was a masterpiece by Michael Cranford(?). Even I still have the original game packaging from that era. Or even Maniac Mansion which I will never forget.

Anyway, what they did with the Amiga was true COURAGE. I've nothing but love and respect for the people who did it. Even Electronic Arts at the time were boldly creative with their games. My god, brilliant masterpieces compared to today's.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
I was there when it came out in the 80s, having owned a Commodore 128 which I loved. But you said it was using the C+ language? I thought they used machine language that was seen on the C-64 ( my 128 had dual OSes ) and the reason I mention that was because I used to copy these lines of code from RUN magazine which I remember very well ( I think I've a few copies in my possession ).

I'm certain about this because I learned to code in C on the Amiga. I even think there were a few C compilers and I believe the name of one I used was called Aztec C (but that's some foggy memories). Yep: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aztec_C

I suspect the Amiga was either 16 or 32 bit and completely understand why Jobs was crapping in his pants about it. It would have been awesome if Commodore ever came back with a new OS ( I know they tried a couple years ago but haven't made much progress ) that's a better alternative than Windows and Mac.

Relative to Apple, both Macs and Amiga used the exact same "brain"- the Motorola 68000 (and later some decendents of that chip). However, the real magic of Amiga vs. Mac was that it offloaded the "heavy lifting" of animation, sound, graphics to some custom coprocessors. So the same brain could really fly because these custom mini-brains took care of a lot of the intense stuff.

I'd say THAT "same brain but getting so much more out of it" was what shook up Apple & Jobs. Of course, that would also be a classic example of "competition is good." Suddenly a grayscale Macintosh was not going to visually compete with the wondrous (and cheaper) Amiga. Apple couldn't run to "specs" because the key element was exactly the same. And thus, Apple had to get moving toward a color Macintosh. And it needed better sound. And it needed better animation. And it needed the flexibility to display on screens larger than (what was it) 9 or maybe 12 inches at the time? And thus, great things happened for Mac... and PCs too. Competition IS always good.

Honestly, I think a 2017 Amiga would be very much like the Mac is today ... only 15-20 years earlier.

Maybe. I think macOS feels more like AmigaOS than Windows, which is probably why I mostly live on MacOS instead of Windows.

Last edited:

BruceEBonus

macrumors 65816
Sep 23, 2007
Derbyshire, England
My A500 had the 4mb external hard drive. No kiddies. Not 4gb. 4 megabytes. It cost £400 .... for the HD alone. After that it was a 486 DX66. No messing there! And that was £800. Back in the days when £800 was a lot of mone... for my first PC.. And I was furious when the bloke who built it used a DX50 and over clocked it to make it run quicker. Cheeky sod! But the Amiga was ahead of its time. Like Apple. And then got lazy. And rested on it's laurels. Like Apple. Both companies were the best. And then competition arrived. And both stagnated. And we can see what the consequences of that was/is.

Last edited:

laz232

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2016
At a café near you

If you were typing in lines from a magazine on a C64 then that's almost certainly BASIC, not Machine Language (by which you perhaps mean assembler?)

I never had an Amiga myself, but they were popular home machines in UK, NL, DE. Commodore (CBM) , but never got anywhere in business though - turns out the CBM chiefs were more interested in partying and money then in improving the product...

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
I suspect the Amiga was either 16 or 32 bit and completely understand why Jobs was crapping in his pants about it.

Its not the 16/32 bit thing - the Mac used the same 68k processor series which was 16/32 bit (32 internally, some versions had 16-bit external data busses).

The Amiga had hardware-accelerated 2d graphics (the famous "blitter" chip) and digital-synth-quality audio.
It also had a full-blown, pre-emptive multi-tasking operating system, something the Mac didn't get until OS X arrived (earlier versions of MacOS and pre-NT Windows used 'collaborative multitasking' that relied on applications periodically giving up control). Wasted on gaming, really.

Another key piece of Amiga tech was a product called the Video Toaster that gave the Amiga an early head-start over Apple in TV production and CGI: famously, the first couple of seasons of Babylon 5 were created using Amigas. (Love or hate that show, it pioneered the use of CGI and digital compositing on TV shows to offer far more ambitious effects than anything before it.)

Pilgrim1099

Suspended
Apr 30, 2008
From the Midwest to the Northeast
If you were typing in lines from a magazine on a C64 then that's almost certainly BASIC, not Machine Language (by which you perhaps mean assembler?)

I never had an Amiga myself, but they were popular home machines in UK, NL, DE. Commodore (CBM) , but never got anywhere in business though - turns out the CBM chiefs were more interested in partying and money then in improving the product...

Yes they're in BASIC at the time and some had machine language assembly that were in numerical compilation. It may have been an assembler. I'll have to dig up the old magazines to make sure.

They were quite easy to follow when transcribing from the articles that provided free software and you had to program them in which was interesting in that before magazines had CDs that came with them.

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
they were popular home machines in UK, NL, DE. Commodore (CBM) , but never got anywhere in business though - turns out the CBM chiefs were more interested in partying and money then in improving the product...

CBM's management may not have helped, but the reality of the time was that business had become a PC/Windows "closed shop". Apple were hanging on by their fingernails by virtue of having a foothold in the desktop publishing market (that, and Microsoft probably wanted them alive as a fig leaf against anti-trust accusations so they made Mac versions of Office and Internet Explorer). Amiga had a niche in video production, Atari had a niche in music but they were all facing a war of attrition because they couldn't run "industry standard" software or compete with ultra-cheap commodity PC hardware.

bigpoppa

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2005
Seattle, WA USA
Loved my Amiga 3000 with a 68060 accelerator in it, it just flew with that incredibly nimble operating system. Used to build apps with Cando 3. Sigh...

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
I thought they used machine language that was seen on the C-64 ( my 128 had dual OSes ) and the reason I mention that was because I used to copy these lines of code from RUN magazine which I remember very well ( I think I've a few copies in my possession ).

The C64 used an 8-bit 6510 CPU (a version of the 6502 in the old Apple 2) and it would be quite common for a BASIC program to include a bit of pre-assembled machine code to handle anything speed critical. The C128 also had a Z80 processor so that it could also run the CP/M OS (which was what passed for an industry standard for business computing before the IBM PC came along - PC-DOS was essentially a CP/M clone).

The Amiga had a 16/32 bit 68000 processor so the machine code would not be compatible. It was much faster than the 6502, so you wouldn't need to resort to machine code so often, and it was quite capable of supporting programming in C.

Reactions: Pilgrim1099

antonis

macrumors 68020
Jun 10, 2011
I got a 1200 from ebay last summer with an expansion card and fiddled for days with a compact flash card to make it bootable as an internal HD. A great machine, and still has a great community. The greatest advantage was the blitter chip, allowing for the smoothest animation/scrolling of the time (and for years later). One had to see the Shadow of the Beast intro scrolling to understand how far ahead from any competition this computer was.

Reactions: Telos101

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
Also mentioned at the Computer History Museum talk: two of the engineers who designed the Amiga 1000 previously worked on developing a custom clock chip for the original Macintosh 128k.

Reactions: Telos101
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.