iTunes "warning" question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Bedawyn, Feb 14, 2005.

1. Bedawyn macrumors regular

I hate my Mac. I really, truly do. I shouldn't. It's wrong, it's unnatural, I've been a card-carrying Mac bigot since ~1990, but ever since I succumbed to OS X, it's just been one thing after another until I want to throw it through the window. My office PC is more productive and more fun these days, and that's DESPITE the spyware.

At the moment (not that it's ever _just_ one thing at a time), it's that bleeping "warning" message iTunes gives you, saying "You may have purchased music you haven't downloaded yet. Would you like to check?" EVERY SINGLE TIME I download music from the store, the next time I open iTunes. Despite the fact that there never is any undownloaded music, and if there WERE, I could just do "Check for purchased music" without being reminded. Meanwhile, I'm late for work because my iTunes alarm didn't start playing because iTunes is sitting there waiting for me to answer that bleeping stupid question in my sleep.

Please, please, someone tell me how to get rid of this message for good. Or better yet, just wake me up and tell me OS X has been a bad-shellfish-induced nightmare and it'll all be better now....

2. Logik macrumors 6502a

:rolleyes:

i guess your first problem is relying on a jukebox program for your alarm usage... bite the bullet, you bought a mac, go buy a real alarm clock and stop blaming that problem on an existing problem you KNEW about.

next.. save your Library file (saves all your song info, playcounts, playlists, etc).. trash the preferences, copy the library file back over.. and retry it... see if creating a new user solves that problem (as in use that new user to buy a song and see if it continues to do what you are having a problem with)... new user on your computer, not on iTMS... i hope i wouldn't have to state that.. but there it is just in case.

3. Bedawyn thread starter macrumors regular

Actually, jukebox programs work just fine for alarms. I used Soundjam that way for years with no problem on OS 9. Even iTunes works fine with it when the music store isn't interfering. And the whole point of using the computer is to avoid the stupid DJs and blaring alarm sirens. I can't believe you're sitting there telling me _I'm_ at fault for expecting the oh-so-fabulous OS X to be able to do a simple little, useful-on-a-daily-basis thing that OS 9 could manage several years ago without being obstacle'd by stupid needless errors that some iTMS programmer thought was a feature in their new "flash and hand-holding for morons take precedence over useful tools" philosophy.

But you're probably not. Okay, I get that. I have the flu right now, which apparently has the effect of making me po'd at everything and everyone, and rationally, I know I'm probably blowing your comment way out of of proportion. Okay, I know that. Deep breath.

I'll try trashing the preferences when I get home, but seriously, flu or not, I am so at the end of my rope with OS X. I just cannot express the utter depth of my loathing for this system, and there doesn't seem to be anything I can do to make it better. As soon as this flu is gone, I'm starting to look seriously into whether I should go back entirely to OS 9 or just make my next computer Linux and go with that. No genie effect or 128k download is worth the crap that comes along with OS X.

4. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I think that there's something up with your iTunes preference file rather with OS X specifically on this issue - although I understand your irritation at it over-riding your alarm clock!

I know that I've only ever had that question appear twice. Each time it must have been triggered by the iTMS support people who had enabled tracks to be downloaded for a second time (for a variety of reasons). It certainly doesn't appear each time I open the music store.

Have a hot toddy while you try the solution below - and I hope it cures both your flu and your problem! :)

5. ct77 macrumors member

If you're looking for user-friendliness, Linux is the wrong way to go. Trust me on that one.

Submit feedback to Apple for iTunes about the behaviour you don't like.

iTunes, of any of the OS X apps, is the least "Mac-like". My personal experience -- it behaves a lot like a Windows application. :(

6. Logik macrumors 6502a

my point was that OS X does A TON of things.. power could go out, it might not wake from sleep, you might get a corrupt preference file, you might have any number of problems go wrong that wouldn't with a typical clock/alarm... :-/

i'm not saying it's necessarily your fault, i'm simply saying you should've realized that lots could go wrong, lots more than an alarm clock anyway. i never expect my computers to work correctly 100% of the time.. bugs exist and i know eventually i'm going to find one of them. i've been looking into getting an alarm app for itunes for windows... but i'd obviously keep a backup alarm clock going just to be safe.

as for the problem, like i said, try trashing the preference file..but be sure to back up that library file just in case.. (i think i OS X it's in the music folder so you don't have to worry about it.. but don't hold me to that)... and see if that fixes the problem.

what other problems are you having? if things are THAT bad maybe it's time for an archive+reinstall? or you've got flakey hardware.. i've had 1 problem with my powerbook since i got it, and that has finally been resolved with 10.3.8.. which i am very hesitant to install at the moment due to seeing others problems.. oh and for those who wanna know, the problem was the wake from sleep with no login (black screen) bug.. hasn't happened since i changed a few settings so it isn't a big concern for me now, but really irritated me when it did happen within a month of me getting the powerbook

7. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

One thing you might try before trashing all your prefs would be to log out of your iTMS account and then log back in... maybe you've tried this already... if you delete your prefs, you'll have to log-in anyway, but this way you wouldn't lose settings.

8. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Removing the preferences files (or copying them elsewhere) should, as noted, fix this problem.

Using a computer as an alarm clock instead of a $10 clock-with-battery-backup is going to fail you sooner or later regardless of the computer or OS you use. For $20 you can get one that plays CDs.

If you hate OS X, go to Windows - you say it's more productive. Linux isn't ready for prime time unless you're sure it has the apps you need. OS 9 will do what it always did but never anything else. And, if you do go to Windows, post back, since you would be the only person I've ever heard of who voluntarily left OS X for Windows and liked it.

9. Bedawyn thread starter macrumors regular

Applespider -- thanks!

ct77 -- done that, plenty of times. Not that it ever does any good. There's only so many times you can whine about something before solving the problem, even the "solution" is removing the problem entirely.

Yeah, too bad none of the ton of things it does are the things I want it to do. And all of those things are problems that could have happened with OS 9, too. But they didn't, not often to cause a problem. I'm not saying OS X should be 100% infallible, that it should be able to handle every unpredictable error. I'm saying it shouldn't be full of stupid crap that causes the errors. It just works, remember? At least, it's supposed to.

Look, it's not even about whether it can work as a reliable alarm clock. I've got two alarm clocks plus a cat who claws my nose if he's not fed at 7:05 a.m. (And ya'll have far too much faith in physical alarm clocks -- mine ain't that reliable.) It's about whether the system (not the OS, but the system of the hardware, OS, and apps) can handle performing a fairly simple, incredibly useful task without constant disruption. If someone tells me they're fighting their system on an almost-daily basis -- and I am -- I expect to hear that they're running Windows, not Mac.

Yes, it's in the iTunes folder. And I usually install clean whenever I do a major upgrade, and I just went up to Panther last summer. But you know what, just that you could say that... there shouldn't _be_ a "time for an archive+reinstall". Before OS X, I don't think I ever reinstalled the system for anything but a number upgrade. I couldn't have, I was using third-hand and borrowed machines without the system disks, up until ~9ish. Or maybe, you know, I did and just don't remember it, seeing as it would have been as traumatically memorable as dragging over a folder. :)

Anyway, I've too many problems to list. And most of them are things that Apple thinks are features.

10. Bedawyn thread starter macrumors regular

I couldn't have a Windows machine in the house, I'd break out in hives. Really, I would. I wouldn't be able to help it. And I've been wanting to explore Linux anyway. Since Apple refuses to give me my tablet, I may just do that, although it looks like it may be quite a bit of wading to get through the Linux-on-a-tablet options. But at least there'll be an excuse for it then.

As for 9, you know, the two big reasons I finally upgraded were the iTMS and not wanting to feel like I was falling behind. But iTMS lost its shine real quick -- 128 kb downloads, usually with several extra seconds of silence at the end, often not the right version I want, and _still_ without a decent nonmainstream selection.

Beyond that, what do I actually use from OS X? I love my Smart Playlists, but they're not as smart as they could be and I never missed 'em before I had them. I do miss my old SoundJam skins. Web browser, I'm sure I could find something that would work on 9 other than IE. My classic version of Entourage worked fine, and my old version of Word was a lot less annoying than the X versions. SimpleText was a lot better than TextEdit, and I love Taco right now, but with SimpleText I wouldn't need it. Dragstrip is so much better than the Dock it's not even funny. I don't do desktop publishing at home anymore, but if I did... hey, I have old copies of Quark, Filemaker Pro, Excel, and possibly In Design for 9 but not X. I don't have a digital camera and wouldn't want iPhoto organizing my files if I did. I have no desire to edit movies, and if I couldn't find something to play wmv fanvids, I'd, well, I'd have a lot more time to spend more productively. Sims, productivity, enough said.

Off hand, the only things I can think of that might be a problem are SpamSieve and Snowmint's Budget, and I think those came in OS 9 versions too. Keep OS X for its UNIX on the backup machine I hope to turn into a MUCK server some day, run 9 on my desktop, and I'm not seeing a problem. And hey, I _would_ be seeing the text for a change, instead of fuzzy blur! Being able to use the computer without eye strain and a migraine, wow, I think I remember those days...

11. Bedawyn thread starter macrumors regular

Ah, but that's the thing. I'm NOT looking for user-friendliness, I'm looking for user-obedience. I don't want a computer that's going to give me cute little pictures that lead me where it wants me to go like a kindergartner, holding my hand and turning my face away from all the complicated grown-up options I'm not supposed to know about. I want a system that does what I tell it to do, not what it thinks I ought to want to do, if I were just wise enough to know that Gates and Jobs know my needs much better than I could possibly know them myself.

12. Logik macrumors 6502a

ok why not tell us what your problems are and someone might be able to help you? you tell us all this "but OS X doesn't do what i want it to do" stuff but you won't tell us WHAT that is. as far as i can tell you just wanna complain because you're frustrated about something. So why not spill it and just save us the trouble of running around in circles. It might be a bug but you know what? I haven't had that problem and this is the first time i have personally seen this as a problem so it's either a) something you've done b) something conflicting or c) i'm just lucky and haven't had any problems with my machine.. period.

so tell us, what exactly is not working the way it should for you?

and OS X can do the simple alarm clock thing for you, but obviously enough iTunes does more than just play music, that introduces a ton of new ways for bugs to happen. I would NEVER use OS 9. sorry, it was butt ugly, counter-intuitive for me, and ancient in terms of technology. Yes, windows 98 looked better and functioned better for me than OS 9. Hence the reason i never bought a mac. I bought a Dell instead, which has performed flawlessly for most tasks. However I bought my powerbook because i wanted more functionality and the dell just reached the point where it was time to upgrade.. it is 5 years old after all. If you're so unhappy with your mac why not get a PC? No one here is saying you HAVE to have a mac.. to me it sounds like OS X isn't the OS for you, it doesn't work the way you work, nothing wrong with that, but bashing it because you can't wrap your mind around it doesn't change anything. that's why there's choice, you can choose what you want, want a pc? go get one. want a mac? go get one.

bitch all you want, or tell us the problems so we might help or just deal with it i guess.

13. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Sounds like a problem between your monitor and the back of your seat. :rolleyes:

14. mikebatho macrumors 6502a

My cr*ppy mac....

I agree with this guy.

I woke up this morning late, again, after a night of heavy drinking. Not only had itunes not woken me up, but crappy old OS X hadn't gone downstairs & made breakfast, presed my trousers OR been down the shops to pick up my prescription.

I'm at the end of my tether, close to the point where I'm about to get rid of my mac, begin performing basic tasks myself, and go out and get myself a life!!!

For years, OS9 was enough, but I'm so jaded by OSX (which can't even plug itsself IN in the morning) that I'm actually considering going outdoors & speaking to women!!!

Come on guys. Computers just aren't that important. I sit in front of them all day, and throw on the odd CD when I'm working at home, but there are folks on here that are way too anal.

Step away from the Mac. Got to the pub......

No. offence.... :eek: ;) :)

15. Logik macrumors 6502a

hereyee here yee! ;) *raises his glass of kool aid & vodka!*

16. sacear macrumors 6502

sacear

Here! Here! Cheers! Seems like Bedawyn has an ID ten T error.

The thing that upsets me is that not only does OS X, iTunes, and my Mac sometimes not perform to my expectations due to some random glitch (or some event not controllable by those three), but they also don't feed the animals and clean the stables, so that i don't have to get up. Damn these OS X machines for not going to work for us and doing our work so that we wouldn't even have to wake up.

I have just about had it with OS X for not correcting and fixing itself. OS X didn't even repair my car, which should repair itself anyway and fill itself with petrol. OS X must be the cause of all of my problems because it does not read my mind and cater to my every whim.

17. TIGERmac macrumors member

While I certainly can't tell you how you should feel about OS X, I cannot disagree with you more about a Windows PC being more productive. Been there, done that, I swear I could write a book.

I was a "slave" to Windows for many years. For most of that time, I didn't realize how bad it truly was. The last few years were particularly bad. Crashes at the most inopportune times, etc. I grew tired of reinstalling the OS every few months and constantly worrying about viruses/spyware. To quote one of the "Switcher" commercials, "It was a horrid little machine."

If you feel compelled to go Windows only, that's certainly your decision. I'd certainly consider reloading OS X and iTunes before making such a drastic move. Mac OS X has been the best thing to happen to Apple in a long time. In all honesty, if it wasn't for OS X I wouldn't own a Mac right now.

Sorry for the off topic post, but I felt a little "Mac evangelism" was in order. :D

P.S. I hope you feel better! Are you sure it's really the flu? Maybe it's one of those Windows viruses? ;)

18. Bedawyn thread starter macrumors regular

*sigh* you poor boys. I really feel sorry for you. Logik's signature says that he's a Mac newbie, but a few of the rest of you must be as well. See, those of us who used Macs before OS X know what it's like to have a computer that's a working, useful tool, and not just a thousand-dollar piece of eye candy. Maybe one day you'll be able to imagine it.

I really appreciate the few of you who responded seriously. Logik, I'm not going to go into all the reasons I don't like OS X right now, it's too late at night and I could use unladylike language for hours on the horror that is OS X's font rendering alone. And it's not what I started this thread for. I'm not asking you to solve them. I've mentioned some of them here before, others have mentioned them here and elsewhere. And most aren't "bugs", they can't be fixed because they're the way Apple wants them now. I said at the very top of the thread that I just don't like OS X. And I said almost at the top, before you'd mentioned it, that I'd already decided to go elsewhere for an OS.

However, I will say that there was no choice involved in OS X. I never chose to buy an OS X. I bought a Mac. Apple later decided to drag us all to OS X, even those of us who only came kicking and screaming. I wouldn't even mind if they, and our third-party developers, had waited until OS X was more "mature" before abandoning 9. Then, at least, by the time we could see that it had matured into something that I loathe and despise with a vile and seething hatred, OS 9 would only be a little bit outdated, with only a few years to wait for Linux to grow up. Instead, they abandoned it way too early and now, however well the system still works, the hardware it runs on and the apps that run on it are hopelessly outdated, and I've had to spend a few years pulling my hair out, constantly being told that the next species of cat would be the one that would make everything better. Well, I'm not buying the promo anymore, 'cause it's obvious Apple's no longer interested in making things better for me, since I work and play with words, not audiovisuals.

And I don't think it does the Mac any good at all for people to buy the promo so intensely that we all accept OS X as this flawless shining gift from heaven and dismiss everything that's not perfect about it as either a temporary problem with the update (despite something happening with every single update) or as just the inevitable that we should accept with grateful smiles for the hassle because there's no avoiding it (despite it being perfectly avoidable years ago).

Hassle should be avoidable. Tools should be functional first and eye candy second. And computers should be tools. I wouldn't pay a laborer $2000 if his daily work didn't please me, and I really don't think I'm paying Apple for it again. And I don't think it's unreasonable in the least to be po'd that I paid for an Apple computer, knowing that a Macintosh should be usable for the next several years, only to have Apple abandon me midstream by pulling a bait-and-switch not only with the OS but with the expectation that a Mac would be a functional, elegant, long-lasting tool that fit my needs instead of an annoying bit of eye candy that does the job only under sufferance. I never blinked at Apple prices when a Mac was a tool worthy of the price, even when it meant using throwaway machines for years until I could afford my own. But I'd never have paid Apple prices if I'd known this was what it was going to devolve into -- a system where "it just works" is marketing more than engineering and where people think automating simple daily tasks, reliably and without hassle, is so unimaginable as to be risible.

19. Bedawyn thread starter macrumors regular

Oh, but that's just the point! It's weird, it's unnatural, it's so not the way things are supposed to be. But right now, my office PC is less hassle than my Mac during the times the malware is under control and about the same amount of hassle when the malware is wreaking havoc again. It's brain-turningly bizarre to think of, but it's true.

Hey, I said I had the flu, not that I was insane! Honestly, I never said anything anywhere about going to Windows. I have to use it at work, not my option. And I have enough other issues with Microsoft. Nope. Linux or back to OS 9 for me. And given the bootability issues, I suspect it's the Linux. Just gonna take a while to figure out that migration.

Thanks! And nah, The Cute IT Guy (paul, if you remember from a while back, I think there are actually two of them now, one with goatee and one without) actually spent two hours running SpySweeper on my system just last week. I give it another week or so before it's infected again. *g*