iTunes...What is that ticked box next to the song?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by iCe Cube, Jan 24, 2007.

1. macrumors regular

Ive always wondered what that ticked box to the left of a song is. What happens if I untick this?

Ive been using iTunes every day for the last 1 and a half years, but I still have no clue.

2. macrumors Core

it has multipule uses. you can use it so that songs that aren't checked don't get synced with your iPod for example, and i don't believe songs that are unchecked will play in iTunes either.

3. macrumors 68000

dXTC

As PlaceOfDis said, there are multiple uses. Unchecking an item prevents syncing to iPods, it can be used to exclude items from Smart Playlists, and it prevents inclusion in Party Shuffle as well, if I'm not mistaken.

During CD importing, unchecking a track prevents it from being imported to the Library.

I'd uncheck only those songs I don't care to listen to but just happen to have, or perhaps old podcasts or other long files that are seldom played.

4. macrumors 68020

aricher

Is there a way to uncheck multiple boxes at a time?

5. macrumors member

unchecked boxes means say u had 3 songs and the one in the middle was unchecked and then u played the first song .. it would skip to the last song.
    hope that makes sense and it doesnt in anyway harm itunes or delete anything

6. macrumors 68000

dXTC

Yes. Highlight those you want unchecked. Then right-click in Windows (Command-click in Mac, I believe). The popup menu will have a Uncheck Selection option. Click it, and all highlighted items will be unchecked.

As Blackhawk2006 says, this won't delete any of the file(s). It tends to take the song(s) "out of rotation" instead. You can still click on an unchecked file manually to play it.

7. macrumors member

Well now I know what the ticks do.... Thx guys and gals and the one that started this post....

8. Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Actually, you can also right-click on the Mac, or Ctrl-click depending on what mouse you have. But Command-click does have powers too! It will uncheck/check all the tunes in the current view! Try it; you'll love it!

9. macrumors 65816

devman

10. macrumors newbie

I have iTunes 4.6.0.15 and there is no option to check/uncheck selection at all. The previous version did have it. Is there a way to uncheck selection, or is this a fault in this version. Perhaps I could try downloading the latest version...

11. macrumors 6502a

is there a way you can make the unchecked songs so that they dont sync to your ipod, or iphone, but they still play?

at the moment i have a 'comment' in all the songs i want with 'iPhone' in it. then make a smart playlist to include all of them and then sync my iphone to that playlist. i'm looking to get rid of this method...

can the ticks do that?