iTunes Will Not Let Me Update to 6.1

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by kas23, Jan 30, 2013.

1. macrumors 603

kas23

I am trying to upgrade to iOS 6.1, but iTunes is not allowing me to upgrade. I have an iPhone 5, which has been running 6.0.2. iTunes extracts the software and then tries to verify my iPhone with Apple. I then get an error saying "The iPhone 'xxxx' could not be updated. This device isn't eligible for the requested build". What do I do here. I have not tried an OTA update and would rather not.

2. macrumors 6502a

SHADO

I'm getting the same error message with my 4S. I did an OTA update to 6.1 but I want to do a full iTunes restore so that I can JB once it comes out.

3. thread starter macrumors 603

kas23

Yeah, I'm trying to avoid the OTA like the plague (never upgrade via OTA updates anyways). I don't understand why it's doing this. Could it be because I saved a shsh while on 6.0.2?

4. macrumors regular

[/COLOR]Backup through iCloud and restore it. If that doesn't work, download the ipsw file manually and try again.

5. macrumors Nehalem

Applejuiced

Try restoring it on another computer.

6. thread starter macrumors 603

kas23

7. MuGeN PoWeR, Jan 31, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2013

macrumors 65816

MuGeN PoWeR

interesting this is i updated my iphone 5 black to 6.1 via itunes ( i restored it o 6.1) no problem what so ever. when i tried updated my white iphone 5 to 6.1 it gave me error that this firmware could not be recognized. i tried the update option on my white iphone 5!

another interesting this is check the screenshot. one iphone 5 is named as world. what does that mean?

Attached Files:

8. macrumors 65816

MuGeN PoWeR

mr applejuice any help?

9. macrumors Nehalem

Applejuiced

Did you uncheck request shsh from cydia using TU advanced tab?
    Check out your hosts file.

10. AAPLinc, Feb 1, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2013

macrumors 65816

Something similar happened to me. I tried to update my jailbroken 4S on 5.1.1 to 6.1 last night. When trying to do an iTunes restore, it kept saying your phone cannot be restored, and that the servers couldn't be contacted or something. I did it countless times. So I finally did an OTA update. After the OTA update (which still didnt work) the iTunes restore FINALLY worked.

So after the iTunes restore, I saved my SHSH.

I should be okay right?