Itunes will not recongnize a ipod is plugged in?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by sail0r, Dec 6, 2005.

1. sail0r macrumors newbie

Nov 26, 2005

I just restored my ipod mini and plugged it in. Itunes will not pick up that there is an ipod plugged in.

I already tried re-installing itunes and restoring the ipod again.

What should I do?

2. Nermal Moderator

Staff Member

Dec 7, 2002
    New Zealand
    Mac or Windows? Which version of iTunes? Which version of the iPod software?
  3. rosalindavenue macrumors 6502a

Dec 13, 2003
    Virginia, USA
    Are you using windows or a mac? My windows PC is slow to find my ipod; sometimes it takes 30 seconds. Also, it wont find my ipod if more than one user is logged on (I dont know why this is).

The first thing I would do is reinstall itunes (which you already did). Next I would go to and download the most recent ipod updater and connect my ipod and run that. That should clear things up.
  4. sail0r thread starter macrumors newbie

Nov 26, 2005
    I am operating with Windows XP Pro. I have just down loaded the newest versions of itunes and ipod updater.
  5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Did you restore the iPod from a Mac or PC? A PC will not read a Mac-formatted iPod natively but it should still come up in the iPod Software Updater. Maybe try restoring it again. :)

From memory, the minis have to be plugged into the power adaptor (not a computer) after being restored too in order to finish loading their firmware properly. Have you done this?
  6. sail0r thread starter macrumors newbie

Nov 26, 2005
    I have done everything recomended still no luck