itunes will not sync m4v movie from my computer to iphone 3g.

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by megadon, Dec 21, 2008.

1. macrumors 6502

can anyone help me out here?

I've uploaded other movies, but for some reason it will not synch it from my computer..

I've already converted it from DVD to m4v with handbreak

2. macrumors 6502

In iTunes, select the file and then go to advanced and the create iPhone/ipod Touch version.

3. thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks a lot ..it worked perfectly..

4. macrumors 6502

Great to hear!!!:D:D:D

5. macrumors 6502

AstrosFan

Dumb follow-up question - after I do this, I now have 2 copies of that movie in my iTunes.
    I assume it would be ok to delete the 'non-converted' one, but how can I tell which one that is?

Also, if I am copying a movie from my "Movies" folder in my home folder to my iTunes, does that mean I have 2 copies of it on my machine, and thus use up twice the space?

Thanks in advance!

6. macrumors 6502

Ya, this is annoying. You will have to see which one is the original by right clicking and selecting "Get info." Delete the original one when found. I always have to remember which one is the one to delete, delete it, before exiting itunes. It is annoying, no doubt.

7. macrumors newbie

Some more considerations

Under the Advanced preferences of iTunes, you can select whether or not you want a copy of the file added in your iTunes library when you add the movie to your iTunes library. If you don't have that option selected, you will only end up with a pointer to the original location (your Movies folder).

Also, when you convert a file for iPhone/iPod Touch, you may want to keep the orginal around because the quality will be better for play back on devices like an Apple TV. Just some thoughts.

8. macrumors 6502

AstrosFan

Thanks! I hadn't thought about the implications of that option previously, but it makes perfect sense.
    I definitely want to keep the full version on my computer - I just didn't want to double-up space by keeping 2 versions...

9. CLJ
    macrumors newbie

Thank you!!!!