iTunes Windows not seeing CD

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by emotion, Dec 14, 2006.

1. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

Sorry to post about a windows machine but my partner has just got a work computer (lifebook S) and iTunes doesn't see the cd. The diagnostics iniTunes say that it's there but it's just refusing to show the CD. Media player can see it too. All options that I could find have been swicthed so that itunes should rip the cd when it's put in.

Anyone else see this?

I never use windows so I'm a little lost (esp. as the machine is administered by her work is such a prohibitve manner - no admin access (!?) ).

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Does iTunes see other CDs in the same drive?

FWIW iTunes is set up to ignore virtual CDs in this manner (it doesn't even acknowledge that a disc is there) but a simple edit to the text configuration file is enough to make it see them again.

B

3. emotion thread starter macrumors 68040

emotion

No noting is recognised (by itunes, the os sees it).

Hmmm not sure I understand. Which text config file? the music library xml file? If so what needs doing?

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Have a look at C:\Program Files\iTunes\CD Configuration\gcdroem.cfg.

If the drive identification string matches the [VIRTUAL DRIVE] IDs it'll be completely ignored by iTunes. So edit the file so it doesn't match.

Another thing I've encountered is that iTunes won't see a CD if Nero is still open, so you might have some other app that is stopping iTunes from seeing the drive.

B

5. emotion thread starter macrumors 68040

emotion

Thanks for the replies, all other apps are shut.

I looked at the above file and there's no mention of the matshita 841S drive anywhere so I guess I'm ok.

Still stumped there then....