iTunes Windows vs. iTunes MAC

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by GreyFox1221, Jun 20, 2005.

1. GreyFox1221 macrumors regular

Is there any difference. I heard that Mac was faster. I hope because I just ordered my Mini :D

2. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

I have used iTunes in both Windblows XP & Mac OS 10.4. iTunes ran fast on both my peecee (a 3.2GHz P4) and it runs equally fast on my Mac (dual 2.3GHz PowerMac G5) as well. I would imagine that it would run faster on a Mac since it is made by Apple. Who knows? Enjoy your new mini.

3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

enjoy your new computer! i find iTunes to be pretty speedy on my 867MHz powerbook so you should be good to go with a mini

4. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Heck, any Mac with iTunes is better than a peecee with windows media player. I still shudder at the memory of having to use media player, eek. :eek:

Thank God & Jobs for iTunes! :D

5. Xeem macrumors 6502a

Xeem

Yeah, I wouldn't be too worried about the Mini's ability to run iTunes well. My recently fried TiBook 400 ran iTunes 4.7 just fine.

6. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

There are a few minor differences between the Mac version and the Windows version of iTunes.

1. Mac version uses Mac-style window buttons; Windows version uses Windows-style window buttons.
    2. Mac version has one command, "Add to Library"; Windows version has two, "Add File to Library" and "Add Folder to Library". This is because the Mac OS open dialog can handle folders just as well as files, whereas Windows has two separate open dialogs: one for folders and one for files.
    3. The Preferences command is in the iTunes menu on Mac OS X and on the Edit menu in Windows; likewise, the Quit command is in the iTunes menu on Mac OS X and has a keyboard shortcut (Command+Q); the Windows version puts the equivalent command, called Exit, in the File menu with no keyboard shortcut.

All of these differences are due to differing conventions in Mac OS X and Windows.

7. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I've only used the Windows version a couple of times when helping a friend set up 2 iPods for different people. Figuring out 'how' to do things was easy but it did look strange to my eyes. All the brushed metal and lovely aqua interfaces switched into battleship grey...

It also felt sluggish but that might have been a combination of the USB on the iPod and a 2 year old Celeron laptop... whereas I'm used to using it over Firewire on a newer Powerbook

8. redeye be macrumors 65816

redeye be

I think the windows version has no drag 'n drop limitation. It only occured once i started using iTunes on my mini...

9. Sharewaredemon macrumors 68000

Sharewaredemon

What do you mean by this?

10. redeye be macrumors 65816

redeye be

I used to listen to my music on a palm. So i needed to transfer the files onto an SD card. I would create a playlist in iTunes and then drag everything over to the card. This worked fine.
    Once i started using my mini, i found out there was a limit to the amount (MB) of songs you could drag and drop. Annoying to say the least.

An applescript fixed this, and a shuffle made everything obsolete. But it's a difference, right? ;)

11. Sharewaredemon macrumors 68000

Sharewaredemon

Right I understand now. Thank you.

12. zulgand04 macrumors regular

zulgand04

In my opinion the amc version is faster, i have a 1.6 Pentium M laptop, and a 700 mhz FP iMac. Especially when connecting the ipod, the mac reconizes it alot faster on the mac, instead of going though all the plugnplay crap that windows has. Anyways enjoy the mac mini, wish i could afford one at this point.

ps if your worried about speed of itunes on a mac, i have 4.8 running on a 400 mhz powerbook G3, it runs great, so you'll have no problems with the mini, enjoy.

-Neal

13. GreyFox1221 thread starter macrumors regular

I knew it would run fine, but I am always looking for new things to rub in my friends' faces.

14. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze

iTunes on my Windows PC 2.4Ghz P4 w/Windows 2000 runs fine... sounds fine... but looks like ass. :D