Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

orangezorki

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 30, 2006
Hello all,

I've just got a decent HiFi, but no decent way of getting music into it. My iPod photo hardly has the best line out, and my Airport express is tied to my phone line as my only wireless access point. Anyhow, it would need an external DAC to sound any good.

So, what I would love is something to wirelessly stream music to, controlled by the unit (not on the computer), with a top-notch line out.

I've see the squeezebox, which looks interesting, but as I understand it, it would not work with my purchased music. It wouldn't be the end of the world, as most of my music is in Apple lossless, but it would be nice.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

David.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
What's wrong with the Airport Express or :apple:TV?

EDIT: NVM. I read more carefully.

I've been thinking that a good accessory for the :apple:TV would be a small 480p screen for this kind of use.

EDIT: You could still get a second Airport Express and use the optical out into your receiver, no?

B

orangezorki

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 30, 2006
What's wrong with the Airport Express or :apple:TV?

B

The Apple TV is great, but needs a monitor/TV, which I don't have and wouldn't fit where the new speakers sit. As for the airport express, I'd need to buy another one (or at least a wireless router) and a decent DAC - the analog out of the airport express is really quite poor - at least mine is.

I should have stated that the quality of the line out is the most important feature I'm looking for. Then usability and compatability with my purchased music. ALC is a must.

David.

orangezorki

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 30, 2006
EDIT: You could still get a second Airport Express and use the optical out into your receiver, no?
B

Thanks for the quick replies and edits!

I wish I could, but although it's a really high quality setup, it's strictly line-in only.

I also agree - a small 5-7" screen to clip onto the apple TV would be great.

David.

Mr Skills

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2005
I've just got a decent HiFi, but no decent way of getting music into it. My iPod photo hardly has the best line out,

Have you been attaching direct to the headphone jack? If so, try getting a decent dock and using the line out on that (apologies if that's what you meant).

and my Airport express is tied to my phone line as my only wireless access point. Anyhow, it would need an external DAC to sound any good.

Well you could always get a second Airport Express! Of course, it automatically downgrades your lossless files to AAC which you don't seem to want. The only other options I can think of are very expensive...

...Get a cheap old laptop off ebay (or a Mac Mini and dinky screen) and connect it to your hifi via a decent USB/firewire audio interface. Then set iTunes on that machine to share your main library. Keep this computer as a dedicated part of your hifi.

Or.... get an Apple TV and a little screen for it... I'm assuming Apple TV doesn't downgrade like the Airport Express, since it can handle video.

orangezorki

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 30, 2006
What exactly is the Audio equipment you're using? Cause the AE has optical audio output. Sounds great to me.

http://www.fergusonhill.co.uk/product_details.php?id=7

And, please, don't flame me for my choice. I ordered them a while ago after much deliberation on this and another mac board. When I announced my decision, the flames were hotter than the surface of Venus. Ultimately, I know that the set is expensive for the stated specifications, and that I'm going to have to spend a fair amount on the matching subwoofer when available, but anything else would have just been a few boring black boxes in comparison. The Ferguson Hills also have an amazing airy, open quality to the sound.

As for the Airport Express, I do like it, but it falls down not only on the need for an external DAC, but also the lack of any control on the unit. And anyhow, for the price of another AE and a half decent DAC I might as well get a squeezebox - I can expect decent quality from the Burr-Brown DACs, as that was what was in the soundcard of my old PC (not an option because of size and fan noise!)

Thanks once again everyone for the replies,

David.

wPod

macrumors 68000
Aug 19, 2003
Denver, CO
<quick flame>those speakers look dumb</quick flame>
<anti-flame>those speakers are shaped for acoustic perfection, so assuming the designers did their homework, those speakers are probably some of the best sounding speakers so who cares what they look like</anti-flame>

that being said, you need a high quality DAC to get the best sound out of them no matter what way you decide to play digital audio through the speakers. and you need lossless compressed digital audio being played. or just go old-school and pure analog and get this. that would probably sound the best!

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
Home Hi-Fi is often overgeneralized and after getting my MSc in Acoustics in Manchester I do understand the need to really hear speakers and understand the increases in price.

£600 is much more than I'd ever spend (on speakers in general) but if thats what you want then that doesn't bother me. But you do have to realize that the speakers can only provide so much of the sound you hear, the room you have them is has a large part to do with it as well. But if they are in a living room setting (medium/much absorption present) then I think they'll sound just fine.

Mind explaining the need for a DAC in conjunction with the AE? I don't quite get that part yet (though I assume its cause of the integrated amplifier in this Hi-Fi).

orangezorki

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 30, 2006
Mind explaining the need for a DAC in conjunction with the AE? I don't quite get that part yet (though I assume its cause of the integrated amplifier in this Hi-Fi).

Sure - it's simply that the amplifier has no digital inputs, and the analog out on the AE is not that good, and seems to send out the odd crack of static every few minutes to boot. Using the optical out would be a way of getting a clean streamed signal.

David.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.