iTunes woes...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by JW008, Feb 2, 2007.

1. JW008 macrumors 6502

OK, so here's the deal. My brand spankin' new (well, got it in December) 20" C2D iMac doesn't like iTunes. Like at all. The only way I can get iTunes to open is by plugging in my iPod. If I try to open iTunes, the "application not responding" and I have to restart the whole thing to get it working. But does that work? Nope. If I restart it I cannot get back to desktop (it inifitely loops before booting OS X). I have to SHUT IT DOWN and wait a few minutes (literally, if I shut it down and then boot it up it does the same thing as if I restarted it) and then boot it up again. Is this worth callingApple over? I'm posting this in the iTunes section because I'm more concerned about how iTunes is not working than the whole computer not restarting...

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Have you tried the usual stuff (repair permissions, try a new account)?

3. JW008 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ha! Sorry...for some reason when I hit the space bar it submitted the new thread. I edited it to fix the problem. Ridiculously quick response, though. I'm thouroughly impressed.

4. JW008 thread starter macrumors 6502

I'll try the new account now, but what do you mean by "repair permissions?"

5. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Open Disk Utility (it's in Applications --> Utilities), select your hard drive, and click the "repair permissions" button. Give it a few minutes to run...you'll see some output in the window as it runs, but it's usually not crucial to know what it says...you just want it to make sure all of your permissions are in fact set correctly.

6. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Yes, I saw your little mini-thread and watched it with interest :)

7. JW008 thread starter macrumors 6502

It did say something about iTunes. And then it ran something else and looked like it fixed whatever it said was wrong. (Wow---how specific is that!) But, iTunes still will not Force Quit.

I tried the new account thing and had the same problem.

You folks are the absolutely greatest in the world.

I'm gonna try restarting/shutting down to see if I can get iTunes to work!

8. JW008 thread starter macrumors 6502

Alllllllright. I'm back from my restart. I tried starting up iTunes and it worked, although it took almost a minute to come up. This seems relatively slow for the 2 GB of memory that I have installed. I have almost 60 GB worth of stuff in iTunes, but it just seems like it should come up faster. iTunes on my old G4 iMac with a whopping 512 MB of memory started up faster than iTunes on my new iMac. Any of you know if this is normal? (This is my first intel Mac)