itunes won't allow changes to files

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by cocopelli, Oct 20, 2004.

1. cocopelli macrumors member

Ok, this has been bugging me for about a month now and I just can't figure it out. For some reason, my itunes stopped allowing me to make changes to the files in the library. I can't change song names, artists, add artwork nothing. I am really at a loss as to what to do here. Should I reinstall itunes? I can't see how that would help but it may be necassary. So yeah...thanx in advance for any suggestions you may have.

Ben

2. Logik macrumors 6502a

repair permissions?

3. cocopelli thread starter macrumors member

I already tried that and yeah its still not working. thanx anyway

4. Logik macrumors 6502a

i'm doubting this is the problem.. but try this

open finder, in the left pane click music.. then highlight iTunes (or wherever you put your iTunes music library. once that folder is highlighted hi Command+i

that'll bring up the info window for that folder.. expand Ownership & Permissions, and make sure you have Read & Write permission .. check the folder in which a few of the files you are trying to edit also read & write just for safe measure... if that's not it i don't know what else to try :-/

EDIT: just noticed you can hit "Apply to enclosed something or other" you could try that but i think it MAY just do what repair permissions does.. but maybe not..

5. cocopelli thread starter macrumors member

I had also thought of that...except I didn't check the enclosed files, but I have now and they too are read/write. I think my next move is to reinstall itunes. What is the best way to do this so that I get rid of all preferences and everything but save my music? Thanx for the help.

6. Logik macrumors 6502a

i got nothin....

well ok maybe i do.. just delete the preferences file and restart itunes... see if that helps.. i don't see why installing itunes is going to make much of a difference to be honest with ya.

7. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

It almost has to be a permissions problem on your music. What folder exactly are you checking permissions on?

Is this a shared library (more than one login account), if so make sure group has read/write? Frankly, I would hop into terminal and issue a chmod -R on the entire iTunes library folder.

8. Logik macrumors 6502a

ya.. my impression from the start has been a permissions problem. i'm not too familiar with how the permissions stuff works in os x... i've only switched 6 months ago and haven't had to deal with it since i'm the only user ... so hopefully someone else can help him get it working