Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tw0be

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2009
Im having the same problem, but when i connect my iphone to my computer it says "please insert the compact disc labeled 'mobile device setup disk' into your CD-ROM drive (D)" i have never had this problem before just recently started to happen. can anyone help me out?

daytona

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2008
In some cases .. would you not have to "authorize computer" to get all of this done?

lostnconfused

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2009
help!!!!

I just jailbroke and unlocked my iphone 3GS on firmware 3.0.1 and when I plug in my iphone itunes does not recognize it. It doesnt even show that its charging it. I used the regular wall charger and it works just fine. I thought maybe it was my usb plug but everything works fine. I have a mac and I tried resetting the phone, restarting itunes and the phone. If anyone can help me I would appreciate it! Thx

RoyalGala

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2010
Cannot be seen by itunes or iPhone detected as a imaging device

DISCONNECT IPHONE FROM USB DURING THESE STEPS

Go into Device Manager ( Windows Control Panel ) or you can right click the My Computer icon on desktop and choose PROPERTIES and then choose hardware on the next screen, then DEVICE MANAGER

If you see iPhone as an imaging device right click on it an choose UPDATE DRIVER

When prompted to let Windows search for best driver, choose NO NOT AT THIS TIME, then click NEXT

Choose INSTALL FROM A SPECIFIC LOCATION, then click next again

On this screen you will choose, DON'T SEARCH I WILL CHOOSE THE DRIVER TO INSTALL, then click next

On the following screen you should see a Windows camera driver and the Apple Mobile Device Driver, if so this is good (choose Apple Mobile Device Driver) the click next

NOTE: IF "APPLE MOBILE DEVICE DRIVER" IS NOT LISTED, CLICK ON "HAVE DISK" and browse to

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\Drivers

and choose the APPLE MOBILE DEVICE DRIVER and let Windows finish installing it

(IF USING WINDOWS, IGNORE ANY WARNINGS THAT THE APPLE MOBILE DEVICE DRIVER IS UNSIGNED OR SOMETHING TO THAT AFFECT, AND CONTINUE TO LET WINDOWS LOAD IT)

You may need to disconnect iPhone and reconnect it, but it should now come up as it is supposed to.

I HOPE THIS WORKS, LET ME KNOW IF IT DID FOR YOU!

klvetter

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2010
iTunes doesn't recognize iPhone

I've started to have this problem on my new macbook. Itunes just doesn't seem to recognize my iphone and I get the 'spinning colour cycle' and eventually have to crash out of itunes.

Any help much appreciated.

I had the same problem and I read on another forum to delete any podcasts from your iPhone directly (you can swipe your finger across the podcast listing and you'll get a "delete" button). I did that and it worked. My computer now recognizes my iPhone.

crash0vaRide

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2010
Disconnect iPhone and close iTunes.

Go to Start, Control Panel, Administrative Tools.

Under Administrative Tools, Go to Services and look for 2 services.

Apple Mobile Device
iPod service

Both services should be started If they are not, start both of them.

Start iTunes and wait for it to finish loading.

Reconnect iPhone. Voila! It should see your iPhone.

I will PM you my PayPal info.

Justin

Pfft biggest n00b solution

I experienced the same issue. The best thing is to completely clean out your apple itunes and bonjour files. You can't do this by uninstalling itunes because the old services and drivers will still be running. Thanks apple. But anyways heres how i fixed it.

1. Uninstall itunes from Control Panel
2. Restart PC
3. Download and install the 'Windows Installer CleanUp Utility' from http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;290301
4. Restart PC
5. Click Start, Programs, Windows Install Cleanup
6. Find anything affiliated with Apple and remove them including Bonjour
7. Restart PC
8. Download and install the latest itunes, NOTE: i highly recommend installing with default settings (i don't normally select itunes as the default program to run audio files but in this case I did)
9. Restart PC
10. Connect your iphone to a USB2.0 port
11. Windows will now install device driver software
12. Open iTunes and it should now be under devices

Keep in mind I'm running:

Windows Vista Ultimate
Firmware version 3.1.3
iTunes 9.0.3.15

Summary: I previously ran older versions of iTunes with an ipod nano before the iPhone was released so what I'm thinking is that when you uninstall itunes and update it to the latest platform all the older driver files (which aren't compatable for the iphone) are remaining untouched. Thats why you need to COMPLETELY remove all the apple inc. affiliated driver files before installing a fresh copy of the latest itunes.

Thank me later

Kirastar

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2010
Actually i did found a better alternative to fix the problem. Go to control panel > hardware/devices you will see a unknown device mark with a yellow exclaimation mark. Click on it and you will see update driver. Click it and wait for the installation to finish after that your deivce would automatically be detected.

damy800

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2010
iPhone recognition problem solved.

I just jailbroke and unlocked my iphone 3GS on firmware 3.0.1 and when I plug in my iphone itunes does not recognize it. It doesnt even show that its charging it. I used the regular wall charger and it works just fine. I thought maybe it was my usb plug but everything works fine. I have a mac and I tried resetting the phone, restarting itunes and the phone. If anyone can help me I would appreciate it! Thx

Follow these simple steps windows users.

1- Uninstall your iTunes
2- Delete the "Mobile Device Support" folder on C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support
3-Reinstall iTunes, connect your iphone to your computer and voilaaaaaaaaaaaaa your iPhone should be recognized by itunes now.

Mayh3m

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2010
Heres how I solved my problem =P

I had the same problem for nearly a month, and it was driving me mad. No matter what I did, no matter how many times I re-installed Itunes or restarted the Ipod Service, Itunes would NOT see an Iphone, but Windows would.

I finally realized that I had a CD stuck in one of my DVD drives, and it was constantly trying to to eject, read the disk, eject, read the disk, eject read the disk etc. I removed the drive from my computer, and Presto! Itunes would no longer lock up when I attached my Iphone.

From this is was able to extrapolate that when Itunes boots up, it first looks for any CDs you have in your drives, THEN looks for any connected Iphones. Itunes essentially kept asking my computer what CD was in the drive over and over, and since it never got an answer it never moved on to look for an iphone. Hope that helps =P

John Benitez

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2010
The simple way is to uninstall your iTunes from your PC, visit control panel > add remove then click the iTunes software and remove it. After this process you download the latest version of iTunes and install it. I’m pretty sure it will solve your problem.

txngus

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2011
Yes yes!

DISCONNECT IPHONE FROM USB DURING THESE STEPS

Go into Device Manager ( Windows Control Panel ) or you can right click the My Computer icon on desktop and choose PROPERTIES and then choose hardware on the next screen, then DEVICE MANAGER

If you see iPhone as an imaging device right click on it an choose UPDATE DRIVER

When prompted to let Windows search for best driver, choose NO NOT AT THIS TIME, then click NEXT

Choose INSTALL FROM A SPECIFIC LOCATION, then click next again

On this screen you will choose, DON'T SEARCH I WILL CHOOSE THE DRIVER TO INSTALL, then click next

On the following screen you should see a Windows camera driver and the Apple Mobile Device Driver, if so this is good (choose Apple Mobile Device Driver) the click next

NOTE: IF "APPLE MOBILE DEVICE DRIVER" IS NOT LISTED, CLICK ON "HAVE DISK" and browse to

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\Drivers

and choose the APPLE MOBILE DEVICE DRIVER and let Windows finish installing it

(IF USING WINDOWS, IGNORE ANY WARNINGS THAT THE APPLE MOBILE DEVICE DRIVER IS UNSIGNED OR SOMETHING TO THAT AFFECT, AND CONTINUE TO LET WINDOWS LOAD IT)

You may need to disconnect iPhone and reconnect it, but it should now come up as it is supposed to.

I HOPE THIS WORKS, LET ME KNOW IF IT DID FOR YOU!

This worked amazingly well for me! Thank you kindly!

Hallingp

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2009
Going crazy with iphone 4 not recognized

Hi

After installing itunes 10.2.1.1 on my Windows XP SP3 (Lenovo X301), itunes can detect but not recognize either my iphone 4 running 4.3.1 or my ipad. I've tried everything in this forum and apple forums: uninstalled and reinstalled many times, cleaned computer of all apple files, deleted Apple Mobile Support folder etc., stopped/restarted AMDS, downloaded usbaapl and copied into driver folder.......

What i can report is that the FIRST time that this problem occurred, I noticed that the Apple Driver was not loading into the USB driver section of Dev manager. When I took a photo and reconnected, the iphone was recognized as a new usb device and the driver was installed and I was able to get onto itunes and backup etc.

However shortly afterwards, the problem reappeared and now NOTHING recommended on any of the forums is working. My own assessment has narrowed it down to the USB driver not being loaded. When I look in Dev Manager under the other listings (e.g., imaging devices etc), no apple devices show up. I should note that the computer is also failing to recognize my ipad, though both devices can charge off the laptop.

Help!

drattler

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2011
iTunes won't detect iPhone for Windows 7

Verify if you have Apple Mobile Device USB Driver
1. Connect the device to the computer.
2. Quit iTunes if it launches.
3. Click the Start menu, right-click on Computer, and choose Properties.
4. In the upper-left corner, click Device Manager. The Device Manager window should open.
5. Click the plus (+) icon (or disclosure triangle () for Windows 7) next to Universal Serial Bus controllers to expand this selection.
6. Locate the Apple Mobile Device USB Driver in this list.
If the Apple Mobile Device USB Driver is not listed, proceed to the steps below-

If the Apple Mobile Device USB Driver is not listed

1. Disconnect the device from the computer.
2. Save a screenshot by pressing the Home button and the Wake/Sleep button at the same time (the screen should flash briefly). Note: Taking screenshots and saving images on iPod touch requires iOS version 2.0 or later.
3. Reconnect the device to the computer.
4. Open the Device Manager in Windows as follows:
Windows XP: Click Start > Run. In the resulting dialog type devmgmt.msc and press Return on the keyboard.
Windows Vista or Windows 7: Click Start. In the dialog, type devmgmt.msc and press Return on the keyboard. If Windows needs your permission to continue, click "Continue".
5. Expand all the sections labeled below (not all sections may be listed):
Imaging Devices
Other Devices
Portable Devices
Universal Serial Bus Controllers
6. Look for the entry that recognizes the device as a camera. This entry should be called Apple iPhone, Apple iPad, or Apple iPod.

7. Right-click the Apple iPhone, Apple iPad, or Apple iPod entry in Device Manager and choose Update Driver from the shortcut menu.
8. Click "Browse my computer for driver software."
9. Click "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer."
10. Click the Have Disk button. (If the Have Disk option is not present, choose a device category such as Mobile Phone or Storage Device if listed, and click next. The Have Disk button should then appear.)
11. In the "Install from Disk" dialog, click the Browse button.
12. Use this window to navigate to the following folder:
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\Drivers.
Note: If using a 64-bit version of Windows, this folder may be stored in C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\Drivers.
Double-click the "usbaapl.inf" file which is listed in this folder. (This file will be called "usbaapl64.inf" if you have a 64-bit version of Windows).
13. Click OK in the "Install from Disk" dialog.
14. Click Next and finish the driver-installation steps. Open iTunes to verify that the device is recognized properly.

Wala:eek::eek:.....you will have your Iphone back to its actual use!!!! ;);):cool::p:apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.