itunes won't let me add to library - HELP

Discussion in 'Mac Applications and Mac App Store' started by capt.ez, Jan 3, 2006.

1. macrumors newbie

hey what gives...itunes won't let me add to library..I'm still new to this...

2. Moderator emeritus

mad jew

How are you adding (or not, as the case may be)? What file format are you using? What OS are you on? :)

3. thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm adding mp3, to windows xp.....

4. Moderator emeritus

mad jew

By just dragging them into the iTunes library?

5. thread starter macrumors newbie

dragging or file add file to library:)

6. Moderator emeritus

mad jew

What happens? Does it give you a dialogue box? Does it respond at all? Are these songs already in iTunes? :)

7. macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

what r u using as your primary media player? WM?.....are you talking about all songs including purchase music?

Bless

8. thread starter macrumors newbie

these songs r not in itunes, nothing happens, no diaglog box...etc...is there only a certain number of mp3s can be added to itunes?

9. thread starter macrumors newbie

I have many songs I've downloaded over the years and want them now on itunes and I do WM but I'm letting itunes use its player...does this matter

10. Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I doubt anyone has found iTunes' limit with respect to song storage. I have 13,000 at the moment and it's fine.

Where are you adding these songs from? What are they stored on? Are they on a hard drive or an iPod or something removable?

Sorry for all the questions but this is a pretty bizarre problem. :)

11. macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

itunes should have copied all those songs over from WM...unless u told it not to on the 1st install. change the primary media player to itunes and see what happens.

Bless

12. thread starter macrumors newbie

i have many songs in mp3 format and adding some new ripped ones recently...they are kept on my c;drive in my music folders with sub music folders by genre.....

13. thread starter macrumors newbie

let me ask this....what is the best way to get my songs from the hard drive to itunes?

14. Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Normally, the best way is to drag the folder holding those tunes into the open iTunes library window.

The only semi-relevant article I've found is about permissions but it doesn't seem to apply. :eek:

15. thread starter macrumors newbie

ok, wait...I'm under the impression that I have to add all the mp3s to the library them drag them to the genre folders on the left that I created in iTunes to put them there for my ipod to upload when I plug it in....:)

16. Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Do you mean the playlist folders? This shouldn't be necessary and it shouldn't have anything to do with the adding problem though.

17. thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah...lets leave the playlist folders out of it....

18. macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

drag the folder that has your music to the itunes music folder on your computer.

Bless

19. thread starter macrumors newbie

just open itunes and the explorer on C:drive and drag the heavy metal folder into itunes...and that will do what? will there be floder in itunes then....? that says heavy metal ??

20. Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Is there enough free space for your music library? There's a setting in the iTunes preferences that means when you add music, it adds (copies) the files to it's own location. Perhaps there's not enough space on the hard drive to effectively have your library twice over.

FWIW, I'm adding my 70GB of music to iTunes on an XP machine right now. I simply dragged my music folder into iTunes and it's working although it can take a while to respond.

2nyRiggz's idea won't add the music to the library.

21. macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

i still dont see why itunes didnt catch his songs on his drive. it doesnt sound like he fix anything in itunes...sounds like he just install it and it didnt pick up the songs....BUT when itunes installs for the 1st time it always ask if you want the songs transfered....ummmmm

Bless

22. Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah, it's weird. The only time I've seen this happen is when the music is already in the library and iTunes is set to look after the files. :confused:

23. thread starter macrumors newbie

thx. for all the help I believe the dragging my folders from the explorer did the trick and now when I rip more songs off of my old cds....and but them into the folders I created I can just replace them and delete the old ones...thx.again...

from hurricane ravaged new orleans.

24. Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Use iTunes to organise your music and rip your CDs. Most people find it much easier. Make sure Keep iTunes Music Folder Organised is checked. :)

25. macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

go into advance in itunes and check to see where itunes is pointing....just to check if everything is on the up and up.

Bless