iTunes Won't Make 1 Star Playlist

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by stridey, Jan 31, 2006.

1. stridey macrumors 65816

stridey

I was recently trying to implement a smart rating system on iTunes (as described here), but when I create a smart playlist, iTunes won't let me select a rating of one star. When click on the first star, only that star is selected on mousedown, but as soon as I release the mouse the second star is selected as well. Has anyone heard of anything like this before, or have possible fixes? It's driving me up the wall.

2. Glenn Wolsey macrumors 65816

Glenn Wolsey

Try and click just before the first star.

3. Project macrumors 68020

I think its a known issue with 6.02. Its INFURIATING. There is a document on Apple support giving a workaround. This is what it is.

Set MY RATING = Less then > 2 stars
    Set MY RATING = More than > No stars

Apple mention nothing about a possible fix. I guess we need to wait for 6.03

4. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

There is another solution: delete the one star music. It doesn't sound as if it's worth it, unless of course, you're keeping it for humour's sake. :p

5. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

What's the playlist going to be called? 'My crap music'?

6. Project macrumors 68020

Well, thats what I use 1 star for. If im on my iPod and theres something I dont like, I rate it 1star. Then when I sync to iTunes it shows up in the 1star smart playlist, allowing easy tracking for stuff I want to delete.

You could also rate something 1 star for tracks that have their tags messed up. So when I sync back to iTunes its just there for me to edit. Dont need to remember it, just rate it 1.

7. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

You make itunes sort by ratings and scroll to the 1 starers.

8. Glenn Wolsey macrumors 65816

Glenn Wolsey

Maybe he wants to make the playlist so he can clean his 1 star tracks out?

9. stridey thread starter macrumors 65816

stridey

If you guys read the link I put in the OP, you'll see why I want the 1 star playlist. Basically it's setting up a system that will rate the music based on how much I listen to it, adding stars to music I listen to a lot, and deleting them from songs I tend to skip over. Anyway, can't wait for 6.0.3 now... :mad:

10. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Not the best option, but if you sort the tunes by rating, add a comment and make a playlist with songs with that specific comment? thats a way but not the easiest one.

11. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I have worked out how to do it...
    This works with iTunes 6.0.2

Create a new Smart Playlist and set it up like the box below
    Picture 5.png
    you get the second line to look like that by click on the 1 star box

12. stridey thread starter macrumors 65816

stridey

Thanks for the help, but as I said, that won't work for what I'm trying to do. I really need a less than one star and greater than 0 stars playlist, as that actually encompases 20 levels of rating. Read the link in the OP if you're curious.

13. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

dammit, i want to listen to all my bad music.

14. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

I personally use zero stars for that.

Of course, for my actual playlists that I listen to, the one star category doesn't need one. I have a 3-star list for my okay stuff, and 4 and 5 lists for the stuff I like.

15. Project macrumors 68020

That would mean rating all of your tracks. Im way too behind to even think of that at the moment lol

16. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

I have trouble deleting something I paid for that is 1 star. I liked the song originally but then started to hate it. I wish I can put these songs on EBay that I purchased from iTunes.

I thought of a new feature available only on iTunes. Perhaps an auto-rating system based on actual sales. If your songs don't sell well on iTunes then they get less stars. At least it would be a starting point.

17. stridey thread starter macrumors 65816

stridey

If you want to be like everybody else. I dunno, there's a lot of music that a lot of people like that I can't stand. And visa versa.

18. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

Yeah, I did have to rate them first. took a while to go through them all.

BTW, is 6.0.2 buggy? This rating bug is odd, and now I'm getting the "can't sync song" problem written about elsewhere (I don't have rights to sync it).

19. stridey thread starter macrumors 65816

stridey

It came up in another thread, so I thought I'd mention that this problem is fixed in iTunes 6.0.3 :D

(Feel free to continue to poke fun at my need to track music I don't like. Read OP if you're actually curious :))

20. mojohanna macrumors 6502a

mojohanna

I just tried it there are two ways to rate as one star.

1. Click before the 1st star and it will only load one star

2. right click or control click on the song once it is highlighted and select the "my rating" You can set the rating or remove the rating.

Hope this helps.

21. stridey thread starter macrumors 65816

stridey

Not even a little bit. Read the whole thread (especially my last post where I say the problem has been fixed in 6.0.3) and try again. :)

22. mojohanna macrumors 6502a

mojohanna

Smarty pants,
    I tried it in 6.0.3 and it works just fine, I can create smart playlists and only select one star.

23. panoz7 macrumors 6502a

panoz7

I think the problem was fixed in 6.0.3, so yes, you should now be able to do that. Try it with an earlier version of iTunes and it won't work.

24. chaos86 macrumors 65816

chaos86

to all the people saying "just delete all the 1 star music",

there are people who have SO much depth to their personality that they have FIVE whole quality levels into which they rate their songs. whether I'm in a picky mood or a mood almost good enough to listen to the pathetic excuses for radio stations atlanta offers, i have a smart playlist for it. 5 star, 4-5 star, 3-5, 2-5, or 1-5 star (i cant just do shuffle songs because that gets the podcasts, audiobooks, and stand up comedy)