iTunes won't open at all... just bounces in Dock and: nothing.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dshootist, Jan 31, 2007.

1. dshootist macrumors member

Feb 4, 2005
    I'm running 10.3.9 on a 1GHz G4 PB. I just ran the last usable version of Symantec's Disk Doctor and Speed Disk (from System Works), fixed some "major errors" and a few minor ones and now I can't get iTunes to start up at all. I've also installed the most recent Software/System Update.
    The icon will bounce and then... absolutely frickin nothing. In the iTunes folder, all of my songs are still there, the application still remains in the Apps folder and it all looks the same way it did two days ago when everything was okay. Things I've tried:
    1. restarting
    2. restarting with resetting PRAM
    3. plugging in iPod to sync
    4. opening from the Applications Folder directly
    5. ran Cocktail
    All of these efforts have resulted in the same no-iTunes runnin' system. Any ideas?:mad:
  2. dshootist thread starter macrumors member

Feb 4, 2005
    just said, "screw it."

...and ended up reinstalling iTunes. Backed up the iTunes Library folder and reset the whole app by downloading an reinstalling 7.0.1. Kind of a pain, but at least I didn't lose 1500+ songs and countless hours of file transfer work...
  3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

Oct 11, 2004
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    I don't see Repaired Permissions on the list.

I would recommend retiring the Symantec software. Norton Disk Doctor has destroyed several client's entire drives. It's just not a reliable piece of software under OSX.
  4. dshootist thread starter macrumors member

Feb 4, 2005
    1st issue I've had...

I had already repaired permissions in Disk Utility before doing the System Update (For some reason, that was hanging on me today as well). This is the first major issue I've had. By the by, do you know of any applications that will work in OS X (or soon, Leopard)?