iTunes Won't Open (Not Enough Memory!?)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by .:*Robot Boy*:., May 22, 2005.

1. .:*Robot Boy*:. macrumors 6502

Hi,
    I just upgraded to Tiger last night, which is great, and it's been working fine up until now, but I've started having a problem with iTunes.

Whenever I try to open it I get an error messages saying "The iTunes application could not be opened. There is not enough memory available". This seems a little ridiculous as my PowerBook (15" 1.67GHz) has 2GB of RAM installed.

Anyway, I repaired permissions, restarted, opened up Activity Monitor to make sure that there was nothing sucking up a lot of RAM, then tried opening it again and got the same error.

I've had iTunes (which I updated to 4.8 as soon as I installed Tiger [along with the 10.4.1 update]) running perfectly all day, so I have no idea what's going on. I'm pretty sure it's not a problem with the RAM because other memory-intensive applications are having no problems utilising it. So... any ideas? I've searched the forums, as well as Google and Apple.com and I can't find any information.

Tim.

PS: I also have Panther installed on another partition ( still waiting for a Tiger compatible Pro Tools update from Digidesign :rolleyes: ), but it doesn't have iTunes installed - so I doubt that there could be any kind of conflict there :(.

2. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

4. .:*Robot Boy*:. thread starter macrumors 6502

I tried deleting the preferences - iTunes opened, took me through the whole "Do you want iTunes to connect to the Internet" bit, and then crashed with the same error. I've since downloaded the installer for iTunes 4.8, deleted iTunes, and tried to reinstall iTunes but it says there's nothing new to install. I tried a restart, but the installer is still adamant that iTunes is already installed.

So... what's next?

Tim.

5. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

When you tried to reinstall, was this what was happening...?

6. .:*Robot Boy*:. thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok, it's sorted now. I deleted the iTunes receipts in /Library/Receipts, installed iTunes again, and now all is well. Brilliant :).

Thanks guys.
    Tim.

7. de vlinderste macrumors newbie

Thank you very much! I'm new to macs and I had the same problem uninstalling/installing iTunes. Solved thanx to you!
    :) :) :)

8. nana278 macrumors newbie

I have the same problem..

Umm...when you delete the receipts and installed it again....were all your songs gone.....cause if it is.....I'm scared to do it...i have all my songs there:(

9. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

The songs should be kept separately in the iTunes Library, which is usually kept in the Music folder by default.