iTunes won't open when web is down (???)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by 8thMan, Apr 24, 2006.

1. 8thMan macrumors regular

8thMan

A very strange thing happened. Our entire city lost internet access due to a landslide severing a cable, and until it was repaired, I found that I was unable to open iTunes. I tried this on several computers and it failed on all of them. I'd click on the icon and nothing would happen. As soon as web access was restored, I was able to open iTunes again. What gives?:confused:

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Do you live in Half Moon Bay, perhaps?

I've never had a problem opening iTunes when any of my Macs aren't connected to internet. Obviously you can't connect to Music Store, but everything else works fine. (I just get a pop-up window saying to check my internet connection if I try to go to the Music Store.)

Strange. Were these Macs, PCs, or both that had this problem?

3. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

Did you disconnect your ethernet cable or turn airport off?

I have noticed once when i didn't have internet i was accidently still on from my last session, selecting the music store and it wont open if the internet is down and your still trying to connect since it is trying to get to the music store.

However when i turned off airport it opened right up while on music store and gave me an error

4. 8thMan thread starter macrumors regular

8thMan

Yes, HMB. Only one highway and I now I realize only one fiberoptic cable away from the Middle Ages.

These were all Macs running on Airport, which was still up with strong signal. They all did the same thing. Really weird.

5. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

Thats your problem right there. If you turned off your airport it would have worked

6. 8thMan thread starter macrumors regular

8thMan

Okay, that's solves the mystery, thanks. I still don't get why the software is engineered to behave this way.