iTunes wont play! Help! :(

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by TMA, Oct 3, 2004.

1. TMA macrumors 6502a

TMA

Please help!!!

I've run into abit of a problem with iTunes - It wont play any of my music :( The application started randomly crashing my mac. Every time I tried to start it up all applications, including the finder, just died and the screen went blue. A few seconds later the finder loads up again.

It's stopped crashing the system but now nothing will play. When I double click a song or press the play butten nothing happens. The play butten doesn't turn into pause, and the track position doesn't move. No audio what so ever. It's the same story with previews on the music store or radio streams.

I've tried deleting iTunes' Prefs/re-installing iTunes but no luck. This is really a big problem because my computer mainly serves as my music jokebox. I'm running Mac OS X 10.3.5, Quicktime 6.5.1 and iTunes 4.6. All of which I believe are the latest. I've done a quick search of the forums for answers, but with no luck.

Any help much appreciated!

2. TMA thread starter macrumors 6502a

TMA

Never ever done this before, but I think I understand what to do. Don't have my Panther CD's to hand but could I do the job just the same booting off a 10.2 CD?

3. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

You don't need to boot off a CD. Just start Disk Utility, select your HD and go to First Aid.

4. AliensAreFuzzy macrumors 68000

AliensAreFuzzy

It's pretty simple. edesignuk made a pretty nice tutorial Here.

5. TMA thread starter macrumors 6502a

TMA

Hey thanks for that, excellent guide there.

I'd miss-read the instructions in the disk utility application, thought it was telling me to start up off a CD to repair permissions on a startup disk. Obviously it's talking about repairing in general. duh.

I let it fix permission and it found a few issues - 3 or 4. Fixed them all. iTunes is still no go though :(

6. TMA thread starter macrumors 6502a

TMA

I'm going to have to re-install OS X again aren't I ?

:(

7. TMA thread starter macrumors 6502a

TMA

Fixed it!

With the help of a friend, we investigated and cured the problem.

2 CoreAudio files buried deep with the depths of OS X had become corrupt (I tried opening a CoreAudio plist in TextEdit only to find a jumbled mess, on my friends machine it was readable)

Using the Console I managed to track down a UNIX executable that was throwing up an error whenever I tried to play a song. Replaced this with a fresh copy and voila!

I think when iTunes crashed the first time it must have fscked up these files. :/ Oh well...

FIXED!