iTunes WONT stop crashing.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mrzeve, Oct 11, 2006.

1. mrzeve macrumors 6502a

My iTunes is acting like a real jerk lately.

Everytime I play anything from my library, anywhere from 30 seconds to 5 minutes into it iTunes crashes.

Ive tried reinstalling it to no avail. I deleted all the files relating to iTunes and then reinstalled it.

I dont really know what to do anymore...going through music withdrawl.

Heres the crash log if anyone knows what any of this means.

[Note: I had to upload it to my server because it is to big to post here. So here is the link in RTF format. You can open it in TextEdit - www.staylazy.net/ituneslog.rtf ]

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Have you disconnected all your peripherals (Griffin PowerMate and AirClick)? Does it crash if you use a new user account? :)

3. spicyapple macrumors 68000

spicyapple

Do you have any third-party Quicktime codec files installed in the Quicktime folder? Clean those out, reboot and try opening a new user account as mad jew commands. Try re-building your library by option-click the app in the Dock to build a new library.

4. mrzeve thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well Im trying as we speak without anything extra connected that I dont need.

But why would this suddenly happen? Ive never had this problem and have had both these devices connected for about 9 months now.

The problems all started when I added a song I downloaded to my Library. Ive thus removed the file from my hard drive but still am having problems.

For the record right now without the devices it has yet to crash, but again it happens at will so I will keep you updated.

Also, is there a way I can completely remove iTunes from my computer? I feel that its possible I missed some files last time I tried removing it.

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

On a Mac, removing iTunes entails deleting the actual app from Applications, removing a few receipt packages from a folder named Receipts (use Spotlight to find iTunes and pkg), deleting the relevant music files and data files from the Music folder and deleting a few preference files from the Preferences folder (use Spotlight to find iTunes and plist). I'm pretty sure that's about it. :)

6. ilikeninjas90 macrumors regular

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

ilikeninjas90, are you on a Mac and what have you tried so far in terms of fixing it? :)

8. mrzeve thread starter macrumors 6502a

Crashed again. This is with the devices not connected.

I would try the process with another user - but Im not sure what that will solve. Is it going to make a difference for me if it crashes on one user account and not the other??

Let me know, thanks.

9. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

If worse goes to worse, get iTunes 6

(For Windows.)

I'm not sure 3g iPods work on itunes 7...

10. mrzeve thread starter macrumors 6502a

It seems to me that this problem stems deeper.

Everytime I reboot my computer the Bluetooth Assistant Manager pops up and tells me that it could not find a mouse or keyboard and that there was an error in the search. I have to disconnect and reconnect the bluetooth module.

The volume bar disappeared from my menu bar, I had to readd it from system preferences.

Videos from YouTube no longer have volume.

Matter of fact, looks like no flash media has volume.

As well as the iTunes crashing.

Whats going on here guys? I cant work like this.

11. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Often problems stem from corrupt files in the Home Library (Preferences mainly) so making a new user gives you a default set of these files. If everything is normal in the new user then we can quite safely assume that the problem lies within the Home folder of the faulty user account. It doesn't necessarily mean you have to use this new user account and it can safely be removed afterwards, but it helps show where the problem might lie. :)

3G iPods work with iTunes 7, I know this for sure. I'm pretty sure even the original iPods work with iTunes 7. Downgrading iTunes is still a good proposition though. :cool:

Okay, this changes things. Do you have third party RAM? If so, take it out and see how things go. Do you have at least 8GB of free space on your hard drive? Since you have Tiger, open up Disk Utility in the Utilities folder and verify your hard drive. Don't verify your hard drive permissions, but verify your actual hard drive. If there's an error, it won't let you repair it unless you either boot from the OSX discs and use the bundled version of Disk Utility there, or if you run fsck. :)

12. Aldyn macrumors member

my itunes crashes constantly also. it's driving me crazyyyyyyyy. its been doing it since 7.1 and its anywhere from the first 10 seconds i play something up to about 5 minutes. its not specific song files or anything, its just itunes itself.

fjdklfjdsklfjdsfkl

13. mrzeve thread starter macrumors 6502a

Heres a thread I posted on the apple discussion forums

14. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Some good tips there, but I just thought I'd clear some things up.

• The Audio MIDI Setup step relates to a bug in OSX whereby system-wide sounds are lost (not actual system sounds, but sounds from various apps). As far as I know, this bug doesn't cause any apps to crash but it can still be annoying. If you have Garageband installed, opening and then closing it will have the same effect as changing the Audio Output frequency.
    • Removing or renaming the iTunes preferences will lose your customised settings. However, it shouldn't affect playlists and playcounts because these are meant to be stored in the iTunes Library data file within the iTunes folder in the Music folder.

Now, what are the problems with Bluetooth and is your Volume Meter in the Menu Bar constantly disappearing or has it only happened once? :)

15. mrzeve thread starter macrumors 6502a

Changing the MIDI settings has completely fixed my problem.

However, everytime I boot up my computer, my bluetooth preferences come up and tell me that a keyboard was not found. I have to unplug the bluetooth adapater from my computer and reconnect it.

This also requires me to reset the MIDI settings.

And the volume thing only happened once.

16. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Cool. So you have a third party Bluetooth dongle? These are pretty notorious for playing badly with OSX. Does it have the latest drivers/firmware installed? :)

17. mrzeve thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah everything is up to date.

Ive had this installed for over a year, never had a problem before. Sounds like some serious system problems on my end and OSX Unstability issues.

Also lately, sometimes when I select a menu or right click and see the menu there are dots all over the menu.

18. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Maybe post a screen shot of the menu dots. Weirdness.

19. mrzeve thread starter macrumors 6502a

Was trying to get one in Grab but by the time I opened it up and reclicked the menu it was gone.

And more with the bluetooth: sometimes when I reconnect the module - the caps lock light stays on and I have to redo everything. Like right now my caps lock light is on and doesnt turn off.

20. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Next time do a quick command+shift+3 to get a screenshot. Much faster. :D

21. mrzeve thread starter macrumors 6502a

More updates:

While the iTunes crash problem is completely gone, the others still exist.

I have to unplug the bluetooth module everytime I restart the computer.

Also, I am having trouble with printing as well. All my settings have basically gotten messed up and its printing in different formats for everything. Is there a way to DELETE ALL printer settings and printers on the computer and start from scratch? Like the presets and all that. If anyone knew this it would be great.

Also - I can no longer access my mac by its name from a pc. I used to be able to just hit start>run> on the pc and type in \\zevesmac but no longer works. I now have to type in 192.168.1.101 - this is annoying since my ips change very often since im usually moving hardware around on the network. What gives?

22. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Have you tried removing and then re-adding the printers from the Print & Fax pane of System Preferences?

In the Network pane of System Preferences, do you have either the router's or the server's IP address in the DNS Servers list? :)

23. mrzeve thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yep - tried that.

And in the pref pane I have my Ip address (192.168.1.101)
    The router is set properly at 192.168.1.1
    Subnet mask is 255.255.255.0
    Dns Servers (Optional) is blank
    As is search domains.

24. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Okay, well find a file named com.apple.print.PrintingPrefs.plist and drag it to the Desktop before restarting. Then, enter 192.168.1.1 in the DNS Server (optional) field of the Network pane. Hopefully this'll help a bit.

25. mrzeve thread starter macrumors 6502a

Deleting that file did the trick, but still having the problem with the network.