iTunes worth updating? Seems like nothing but problems...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by VoodooDaddy, Sep 13, 2006.

1. VoodooDaddy macrumors 65816

Sounds like a ton of people are having various issues with the new iTunes. Makes me kind of nervous to upgrade. Should I wait for some of the bugs to be worked out or just update and hope for the best?

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I usually wait until the x.0.1 release but I don't play music through iTunes and for ripping CDs and syncing the iPod, it worked well.

If you use iTunes daily, I would wait a while.

3. EGT macrumors 68000

EGT

As long as you're backed up, I say go ahead and update. Of course, I hold no responsibility should your iTunes crap up. :p

I was going to hold out but really wanted to try the gapless playback.

4. FreeState macrumors 68000

FreeState

And remember that those with the problems are the loudest, i.e. there are 60,000 copies of iTunes and how many complaints? Puts it in perspective :) I had no problems at all...

5. Ashapalan macrumors 6502a

I have had no problems and love the new look and functionality.
    I won't be looking back.

(i did do a backup beforehand ;))

6. dvdv macrumors newbie

Beware!

It messed with the CD ripping speed on my Dell. Havent figured out how to remedy this. BEWARE!

7. The Toon Master macrumors 6502

you need to do it to get newer visdeos on iTunes(tried downloading the free replacements ep with version 6, couldnt download)

8. needthephone macrumors 6502a

I'm not going to, there is an article in the Sydney Morning Herald headlined
    Apple's new iTunes version branded a lemon.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/digital-music/new-itunes-version-a-lemon/2006/09/14/1157827068657.html

It looks good but from what Iv'e read just seems too buggy at the moment. There are too many people (in this forum as well) having problems and I'm not technically savvy enough to fix it if it goes wrong.
    We all love apple but to pretend there isn't a problem when there is a lot of evidence to suggest there is doesn't do anyone any good.

9. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I've been running it on three machines (OSX and XP) and the only problem so far is that the sound will occasionally cease even though the song keeps playing. Changing the volume seems to remedy it though. :)

10. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Zero problems here so far.

I really like this new version.

11. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Not had any problems with it whatsoever... my iTunes is running "constantly", streaming music to my hifi over AirTunes. No problems with connection, sound or anything...

Only been struggling a bit in adjusting to some of the new features, like Cover Flow and Album by Artist... but that can hardly count as problems... :)

12. andysmith macrumors 6502

I think for every person with a problem, there's 100 without. The people who're using it without a problem just aren't starting loads of threads on here ;)

I've upgraded 3 computers and experienced no problems whatsoever.

13. VoodooDaddy thread starter macrumors 65816

Well I couldn't wait, I had to upgrade. No problems that I can tell. Haven't plugged in my ipod yet (2g 10gb version). Hope everything is good with that. I read one person with a 2nd gen ipod had problems.

14. Superdrive macrumors 6502a

Superdrive

I've got a PC and a Mac that have updated and worked fine. I don't know about any lemon being distributed. This new version is miles above its predecessors.

15. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

That's probably true. No one complains about being too happy.

16. MacVault macrumors 65816

Same here!!! No problems, and I love the new UI! Hope it's an indication of what to expect in Leopard.

17. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
  18. freebooter macrumors 65816

freebooter

no problems here with the ITunes 7

updating the 5g IPod was a bit troublesome but not a b*ll-breaker.

19. AtHomeBoy_2000 macrumors 6502a

AtHomeBoy_2000

mine too. It's down to 4x or less and iTunes boogs down my whole system.

20. richard4339 macrumors 6502a

richard4339

Only problem I had was on my fiancee's PC with her 5G iPod. It wouldn't sync a music video I had purchased. I then realized that since iTunes 7 downloads in the newer resolution, and I hadn't downloaded the firmware update, that was my problem. Updated the firmware, and its worked great.

21. memphismac macrumors member

Downloaded it last night and everything seems to work fine.

22. calculus Guest

calculus

I have it on my desktop and laptop and both are running without any issues. For me it's a great improvement. I love the cover search facility and the iPod summary is well presented.

23. spencecb macrumors 6502a

spencecb

I haven't had any problems with the new software, but have you guys noticed the extreme resource hog it has become?!?!?!?

On my MacBook Pro, with 1GB Ram, iTunes was using up to 741MB Real Ram, and 1.15 GB Virtual Ram, and over 1GB Ram on my iMac G5 with 1.5 GB Ram.

Granted, this is in the Cover Browser view, but this is insane!!!! Perfomance becomes very shoty, and the overall system drags. Not worth it.

24. wiseguy27 macrumors 6502

wiseguy27

I upgraded to iTunes 7 as soon as I could - so far I haven't noticed any problems. I love CoverFlow way too much to go back! ;) I'll probably put up with any bugs because the new interface and features have me hooked!!! Even the iTMS store looks good. :D

25. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

I use iTunes all day long and haven't had any problems with 7 on OS X Tiger.