iTunes3 Rip CD tracks to MPEG-4 (AAC)

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by AmbitiousLemon, Jul 20, 2002.

1. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

[this was mentioned on another thread but has largely been ignored because teh thread got hijacked by people complaining about MW]

Many people expected that apple would allow us to begin ripping our cds with the mpeg-4 codec once itunes and quicktime were updated. these people were wrong. seems liciencing issues have made it difficult for apple to bundle mpeg-4 audio (aac) encoding into the free iapp. So Doug from Doug's applescripts has taken it upon himself to try to help us all out with an applescript that you can use in itunes to rip your cds with mpeg-4 codec (you MUST have quicktime 6 Pro and iTunes3).

I just ripped Metallica's Black Album (**** Lars) and I must say its great. The files are around 2-3MB and sound great.

Couple problems (all apple's fault):
    visualizations dont work
    equalizer doesnt work (flat sound if you have poor speakers)
    ipod cant play the files

this little script is a snap (just read the read me), rips fast and easy try it out.

[on a side note, i was thinking, when you configure quicktime to rip to mpeg-4 there is an option to toggle "prepare for streaming" on and off, if iTunes had built-in ripping to mpeg-4 couldnt they just have the streaming feature off so that people who are using the encoding would not be able to broadcast, making liciencing unnecessary?]

2. billiam0878 macrumors 6502

3. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

nice work, but does it take long and would it stuff up itunes?

its funny apple jumped on the technology and didn't put it into itunes

4. AmbitiousLemon thread starter Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

i didnt feel like it took long. teh creator says that it takes about twice as long to encode to mpeg-4 as it does to mp3 but i dont think it was quite that bad. itunes seems to play them just as easily as an mp3, i cant tell any difference as far as itunes performance.

5. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

I got this? I have no idea what it is?

Attached Files:

6. AmbitiousLemon thread starter Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

i have a feeling you did not read the directions. is it so hard to read the read me?

[btw im sorry if you did, im being an ass]

go back to that read me and actually install the script and follow the directions.

7. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

I read it, may have missed something,

I will let you know

8. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

ah got it, I don't like it much though, I will wait for apple to integrate this into iTunes

9. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

So is there really that much of a benefit of converting to AAC at this point? Since iTunes doesn't seem to have support fully integrated yet, and iPod doesn't at all, the only plus at this point to me would be file size. Is that why you guys are doing it?

It seems Apple's just putting their foot in the door with this mp4 stuff. Looks like it'll be awhile before we see any REAL usefulness with it. For now, mp3's okay with me!