iTunes7 and AirTunes?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by daveL, Sep 13, 2006.

1. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

I updated my PM G5 to iTunes 7 yesterday and since then I'm unable to connect to my airport express remote speakers (AirTunes). The airport express remote speakers show up in the output menu (bottom right of iTunes window), so I know iTunes 7 sees them, but I can't select them.

Meanwhile, my wife is still running iTunes 6.0.5 on her iMac G5 and can connect to Airtunes without any problems.

I've reset the airport express, my wireless router and my Mac. I've uninstalled iTunes 7, deleted the preferences files and tried to revert to iTunes 6.0.5, but the previous version won't recognize my music library, since iTunes 7 updated the library format. The I did a fresh iTunes 7 install again and did a permissions check. I even tried turning off my firewall. No joy.

I've checked the Apple support forums, but I haven't seen anyone else reporting this problem. This is driving me crazy! It has basically rendered my main music library useless.

Any ideas???

2. daveL thread starter macrumors 68020

daveL

Back to 6.0.5

Well, I found that iTunes updates that change the library file format save a copy of the file before updating to the new format. So, I uninstalled iTunes 7, moved the pre-v7 library file into the iTunes folder and installed iTunes 6.0.5. Airtunes now works again. Go figure. Since the problem is clearly with the iTunes 7 update, I'm surprised others (apparently) have not experienced this problem.

3. sammick macrumors newbie

having similar problems

Where did you get i tunes 6.05?

I am having similar problems with iTunes 7 and airport express

4. bankshot macrumors 65816

bankshot

You must have missed it, as I found plenty of info on this. ;)

http://discussions.apple.com/search...nge=last90days&userID=&numResults=15&rankBy=9

Also, there's a knowledge base article on it: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=304371

Basically, you need to turn on IPv6 in your Network preference pane. This is the default setting, so not many users had it turned off (you had to explicitly go in and turn it off at some point). I had the same problem and this solution fixed it for me.

I do wonder why iTunes 7 requires IPv6 to use Airtunes. It makes no sense to me, since iTunes 6 and below still work with IPv4 only. In fact, I saw on the discussions site some comments about how disabling IPv6 had fixed a prior problem with audio dropping out for some people. I'm a little bothered that I now must have IPv6 turned on, as I don't use it for anything else, and I haven't spent any time securing my network in the IPv6 world. That's precisely why I turned it off in the first place.

Maybe it was just a bug that wasn't caught? Regardless of whether it was intended, I consider it a bug that there's no error message or hint from iTunes.

5. daveL thread starter macrumors 68020

daveL

Thanks bankshot. I turned IPv6 off, since I don't use it. My router won't pass it, so I'll just turn it back on. It is odd that you don't get any error message.

6. daveL thread starter macrumors 68020

daveL

Hmmm... According to the forum links bankshot provided ^^^, turning IPv6 back on does *not* fix the problem in all cases. I may just stick with iTunes 6.0.5 for a while until v7 gets a bit more stable.

7. daveL thread starter macrumors 68020

daveL