iTunesConnect now requires 1024x1024 images

Discussion in 'App Store Business, Legal and Marketing' started by SplitIt!, Aug 3, 2012.

1. macrumors newbie

SplitIt!

I just created a new version of my App and discovered Apple is now requires 1024x1024 iTunesArtwork. The old value was 512x512 ...

Interesting ...

2. macrumors regular

You should already have a 1024x1024 artwork called iTunesArtwork@2x.png added to your app. Just upload that instead of iTunesArtwork.png.

3. thread starter macrumors newbie

SplitIt!

Really? You include your iTunesArtwork in your app?

Based on:
    http://developer.apple.com/library/ios/#qa/qa1686/_index.html

It is optional.

I guess I though what was most interesting here, is that iTunesConnect previously required you upload a 512x512 image.

PS - Per the link above, you want to drop the ".png" suffix from the iTunesArtwork file. It seems counter intuitive I know, but there are quite a few blog post about this issue. Apple address it directly in their documentation.

4. macrumors regular

5. Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

To be honest, that doc is a tad old. Xcode handles setting your app icons different now. For example, you don't need to use specific file names and edit your plist; you can just drag-and-drop your images into the Summary tab.

6. macrumors regular

This isn't a big deal for me, since I've been creating @2x artwork since day 1.

Someone was kind enough to create a Photoshop template that creates all icons with one click.

See here:
    http://www.pixelresort.com/blog/app-icon-template/

Get template 2.0, as this is the one that does Retina resolution icons.