iTuneshelper.app?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Diatribe, Jan 19, 2005.

1. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

This app seems to have appeared after the 4.7.1 upgrade (though I might be wrong on that) and sits in my auto start options.
    Can anyone tell me what this app does?

2. abhishekit macrumors 65816

abhishekit

I think iTuneshelper is for recognizing the iPod.

3. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

It is, its so that if you want to update your ipod you can do it. Its a helper application to help you do that, so if you have an ipod and you connect it to your USB port on your mac, it'll help download music to your ipod or update its settings like firmware and that. (Update it with music, firmware, etc. that is)

4. Diatribe thread starter macrumors 601

Diatribe

So everybody has this running right? I guess then I can leave it alone.

5. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

I disabled it, thats like some ram I could use on this sucker.

6. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I don't know about the Mac versions of iTunes, but I believe the Windows versions of iTunes have always had a helper application running in the background in the form of a Windows service called iPodHelper.exe.

7. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

Yup and to remove that service permanently just go to Start->run->regedit or in one of the others I think it had regedit32... anyways, go to Local_Machine, Control Sets, Current Control Set, Services and find the iPod one, CAREFUL IF YOU DELETE THE WRONG ONES YOU CAN LOSE A LOT OF ACCESS! I Deleted on accident my IPNat, and had to reinstall to get it back, you should always do backups of registries before messing with them.

8. tubedogg macrumors regular

Or maybe you should try a way that won't kill your machine...Mike Lin's Startup Control Panel http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

9. Majakka macrumors newbie

So iTunesHelper is only for USB iPods? I have a 2nd Generation, so I can take it out of my Startup Items?

10. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

Actually, I think its for when you connect your iPod to the Mac, it downloads whatever to it (that it needs) like firmware, songs, etc.

11. deebster macrumors 6502

This thing appeared in my startup items after the iTunes 4.7.1 update.

I don't have an iPod so I removed it from the list and have had no problems at all since.

It seems the actual app itself is part of the iTunes app's package contents (rt or ctrl click on app in Finder to view them) so can easily be re-added to the startup items list should you require.