'iTV' Availability: Late January/Early February?

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 2, 2007.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

While it is believed that Apple CEO Steve Jobs will unveil more information regarding the company's "iTV" at MacWorld San Francisco, AppleInsider believes that availability of the product may be pushed back to late January or early February.

While Apple has only formally announced that the so-called "iTV" would be released in the "first quarter of 2007", Apple has reportedly been pushing to get the device ready for a release at MacWorld. However, according to AppleInsider's report, a series of quality-assurance related concerns regarding the iTV's software have delayed availability until the bugs can be worked out.

Of interest is that the device's software is reportedly a scaled-down version of Mac OS X. Rumors of Apple developing a "light" version of Mac OS X have been repeatedly reported on rumor site LoopRumors. A previous report indicated that Apple's phone was also using a light version of Mac OS X.

2. macrumors 6502a

Waited this long, a few more doesn't hurt.

Wait a sec- no-- I want it now!!! Come on Apple!

3. macrumors member

moesker007

Interesting...one less thing at Macworld, bring on the whatever-phone :D

4. macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Sounds good to me. I'd rather a working product that takes a few extra weeks than a PoS that's out earlier.

5. Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Doesn't mean they won't release it at MWSF, just that availability may be scarce (or nil) immediately after release. It wouldn't be the first time...

B

6. macrumors 68020

MacinDoc

Interesting that it will use a portable version of OS X, if the rumors are correct. This would certainly make a smartphone and an ultraportable possible. Of course, Apple won't necessarily see a market for such devices...

7. macrumors newbie

Since its a software problem, i'd be glad to take the PoS now and have a software update 2 weeks later :D

8. macrumors 68040

Grimace

I've never been so eager to buy a product that I know so little about!! You have my $300 Apple, just release it soon!

9. macrumors 68020

Xavier

I want to see what they did for wireless. That will be the turn on or turn off for me

10. macrumors 6502a

AndyR

Oooooh...... My first LCD HD TV turns up next Tuesday. PLEASE let this come out at MWSF! :D

11. macrumors 68000

dongmin

This is no doubt the next major push for Apple: a series of 'smart' gadgets running on OS X Lite.

-phone
    -media center
    -tablet
    -car entertainment

12. macrumors G4

Lord Blackadder

I must say I'm excited about the iTV...it could be the biggest thing of 2007 as far as home entertainment is concerned.

Or it could be another Mac TV. :rolleyes:

I'm pumped though, and I can't see Steve not giving details at MWSF. It would suck if it's a paper launch due to software bugs...I hate paper launches.

13. Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

There's likely to be at least some discussion of it, and probably a promise date, even if it is not immediately available in the store right at the moment Jobs mentions it. :) So it looks like you're going to be having some fun in January! :)

14. macrumors 6502

Macula

..."quality assurance-related concerns stemming strictly from the gadget's operating system software"...

Yeah, right... How about "we only have Disney movies for sale at the moment, no other distribution label will agree to provide us with content, and therefore the iTunes movie store sucks and renders iTV little more than a useless box"?

I truly hope this is a software issue being worked out rather than a lack of industry interest in providing iTunes-downloadable movies. Otherwise Jobs and his movie dreams may be in for an abrupt landing.

15. macrumors P6

~Shard~

Too bad if this is the case, but I would prefer a working device rather than a flaky device rushed to market. That aside though, I'm just curious to see what the iTV actually ends up being, so regardless of the release date I'm hoping Jobs gives us all a detailed preview of it next week. :)

16. macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

Not a portable OS, but a "light" OS.

17. macrumors member

LoopRumors?

Hi,

The LoopRumors site is offline. Is this The Man bringing the smack down on them for dealing secrets? Or did they just forget to pay the bill?

-Chilton

18. macrumors 68000

crees!

Yea, I just broke the bank on a new TV so getting iTV when it comes out like I wanted to seems less of a reality now. Oh well, life goes on.

19. macrumors regular

You have a point with regards to the movie deal.

I certainly think there's a market for strictly on demand programming only. I'd be happy to ditch cable tv to watch HD content downloaded off the web and pay for what I watch only (without commercials). I wonder if Apple will take that approach? Seems like they're well setup for that type of distribution model apart from the HD and a full line of content.

20. macrumors 68000

dernhelm

Small device platform?

Bigger news would be an OS/X lite platform that they are building iTV on top of. Sure would be interesting if they made this "small device platform" something other vendors could include as a part of their own device!

Migrate the iPod+Phone to OS/X lite, and build the iTV using it, and you've got a platform that a lot of vendors would like to get their hands on. They may never make OS/X available to the PC user buying masses, but OS/X lite could be a different story.

A real competitor to Microsoft in this area would be a very welcome happy new year's present.

21. macrumors newbie

I already ditched my cable about a month ago... and I'm not loathing the idea of saving $85 a month either. :D

22. Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

They've been up and down all day...they've been Slashdotted with their rumor roundup thread.

23. macrumors 68020

I had a feeling they'd announce it at Macworld, show it with some new features or whatever, but say that they're shipping at the end of the month.

I don't care about the MacPhone anymore because I have a Sidekick now. :)

And how could you forget that Mac Tablet next Tuesday that also runs a "stripped down version of OS X"??? :)

24. macrumors 6502a

Texas04

I could definitely see something like this coming out at MWSF. And with a light version of OS X this could be great. Take a "remote" similar maybe to the Nintendo Wii remotes and incorporate that into the iTV for selection, iTunes, streaming movies and more.

I will be looking forward to this product for sure. :D

25. macrumors regular

Did you switch to a dish or just say goodbye to TV all together?