iTV concern

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by R.Youden, Nov 12, 2006.

1. R.Youden macrumors 68020

R.Youden

Just had a thought about iTV. From what I can gather to run the iTV you need to have it plugged into your TV (obviously) and you also need to have your mac with all your media on switched on. Now with all this 'green' thinking at the moment I can see Apple getting some stick for this. Basically having two devices swithed on at the same time with one being almost redundant. I hope the release a way of keeping your media on the iTV via an external HD using the USB ports to help prevent this critisism.

Or maybe they will bring out a new iPod that has WiFi and can share your movies, photos, songs etc with the iTV. In the same way that Zune does :eek:

2. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

Bah, Green.

I suppose your right, but I don't think you'll get much sympathy from folks here with their dual monitors, laptops and desktops, their 52" HDTVs and so on.

Saying that, I do tend to switch my Mac Mini off when its not getting used, overnight and the likes.

3. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

More Devices, but less power?

Most Macs appear to use less power than their 'PC' counterparts... and an LCD TV uses less power, than an old tube screen... so there's your 'Green' bit. :rolleyes:

We have a Squeezebox-2 which has been great for Audio, since you don't need the TV on to surf your music.... however we'd like streaming video etc.. so unless SlimDevice's recent buy-out by Logitech delivers something like that, I'm going to be watching iTV's launch with interest.

4. R.Youden thread starter macrumors 68020

R.Youden

I agree that I wont get much sympathy, I agree that it is over reacting but I just think that Apple is missing a trick by not giving the ability to attach and external HD. Basically it would be an iPod with a FrontRow interface and a big HD so the iTV bit would only be the iPod embedded controller.

5. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Uh...

I don't think the "green" concerns have a WHOLE lot to do with power consumption, rather materials used.

6. lizard79 macrumors member

xvid/divx

my main concern is: will it be able to play xvid/ avi files?

what do you think?

7. NorCalLights macrumors 6502a

Just remember we don't actually know much about what the final product will be. Heck, we don't even know what it'll be called. For all I know, Apple will add a Firewire or USB port to the back of that thing.

8. R.Youden thread starter macrumors 68020

R.Youden

No! only files that have either been purchased off iTunes or had personal screening by Steve Jobs to ensure that they dont infringe any copy right laws and piss off the Film studios so Apple have to pay them off (cough Microsoft cough).

9. R.Youden thread starter macrumors 68020

R.Youden

I think the demo had at least 2 USB ports but no Firewire. I would like to see a built in iPod dock too.

10. slughead macrumors 68030

slughead

Certainly not from me. I keep a proton accelerator on at all times consuming several thousand kilowatt hours each month.. Why? I like the purple glow it gives off.

I also burn crude oil in my front lawn and occasionally send hundreds of pounds of pro-logging pamphlets to forest conservation groups.

Think different, A-holes!

11. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Damn ecowarrior.

12. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

LOL. Now that sounds like fun.

P.S. Best. Avatar. Ever.

You knows it. Singly handedly I'll stop Global Warming I tell you.

Personally, I couldn't give a crap! Should I? Prolly.

13. dongmin macrumors 68000

dongmin

Ummm, being energy efficient has everything to do with being green.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_design
    http://www.usgbc.org/DisplayPage.aspx?CategoryID=19

I thought iTunes can play any files that Quicktime can handle. If you add the avi codec to QT, iTunes/FrontRow should be able to play it. Or that's my hope anyways.

14. relimw macrumors 6502a

And here I thought "it's hard being green" to quote a famous frog :eek:

What if iTV was really just a mac mini with the ipod dock in it?

15. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst