iTV from apple

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by jermsmingy, Sep 25, 2004.

1. jermsmingy macrumors regular

Hey Guys,

I had to call apple care today to order a new keyboard for my iBook. They have this new system where you say the name of your product that you need help with. Well, it's not exactly perfect cause everytime I said iBook, it would say "I think you said iTv... is this correct?" Anyway, I went and searched the apple store, the only thing I came up with was this link.
    http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...qCDAtCM3bfKifvLcgS0Cfr/0.0.9.1.0.6.11.1.0.0.1
    Neither of these products are from apple. Apple care only supports apple products, right? Anyway, I found it interesting, maybe a new product is coming out soon! :) So, keep your eyes peeled.

2. t300 macrumors 6502a

t300

Well, you said that you called to order a product, from obviously, the Apple store. Now, if you were calling to order something that they sell and came up with iTV, and they have those Monster iTV's in there online store, then I think it's only safe to say that you too, my friend, had the option of ordering one of those.

Edit: You talk about Applecare not supporting those products, yeah, that's right...But what does it have to do with that? Were you on the Store section or the Applecare help section?

3. jermsmingy thread starter macrumors regular

sorry I should have been more clear! I called APPLE CARE! I needed a replacement keyboard for my ibook, you can't get that through the apple store. When I called apple care, it asked me to say the name of the product I needed technical support for. When I said ibook, it then told me it thought I said iTV. As far as I know, the only hardware products that apple care deals with are PowerMacs, Powerbooks, iMacs, iBooks, and iPods. I don't think that I'm missing anything. Hope this clears up what happened.

4. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

I'm going to call AppleCare and start saying things like "PowerBook G5" and "Newton" and see what I get! ;) :D

5. iSuck macrumors member

iSuck

Dude, Applecare has always sucked. No matter how much you are dedicated to apple, every apple user that has gone through the stage of calling Apple care hates it....

Well this is what the majority of people say.

I mean you try to get some technical support cause your new Powerbok mucks up, what do they do, try to sell you something else and tell you about their special deals, you end up being on the fone with them for hours....

Easier way, go to the apple store.

6. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

I've made a number of calls to Apple Care, on many different subjects, and the only annoyance I had was explaining to the techie that my AirPort Express station COULD handle AirTunes and internet at the same time. :eek: This was after she was trying to convince me that there was not enough bandwidth, and I'd need a second Express to do audio and internet at the same time.

7. iSuck macrumors member

iSuck

Hhahah

Yeah, The Apple Care Technitions don't know enough about the Apple product range...maybe they are all PC USERS!

:|

8. slughead macrumors 68030

slughead

It's equally likely they also work for Dell or HP/Compaq.

9. iSuck macrumors member

iSuck

True....
    But wouldn't apple put their technitions through a test of some sort?

You know, to actually know if they have even used an apple?

10. jermsmingy thread starter macrumors regular

this was the automated voice system. Not a real person. I was not talking to a real person when I was said iBook, it was not a real person that said I'm sorry I thought you said iTv. It was a computer voice. That's what made me think there might be a new product coming out.

11. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

It seems that it would be cost prohibitive to hire intelligent knowledgeable people, especially ones enough so to be helpful in all situations. Instead, the just hire any ol' shmuck and give them a comprehensive script to follow.

12. iSuck macrumors member

iSuck

Lol!

Hhahah, so true....but i've never known apple to be CHEAP!

I mean come on, their products are anything but cheap! Re:powerbooks

13. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

What's with all the ragging on AppleCare. I've never had a problem with them. I guess some people have, but it doesn't always suck. Try calling Dell and being put on hold forever just to talk to someone who can't speak English and has no idea how to help you. I realize sometimes you get an idiot, but it doesn't always suck, otherwise how would it win top ratings from places like Consumer Reports and PC Magazine. Please don't spread FUD.

Anywho, it was just the iTV from monster. They probably do basic support for other products. My friend's Mom called about a problem with a Lexmark printer and they helped her. I wouldn't get your hopes up.

14. iSuck macrumors member

iSuck

Touche, there are worse help lines.....COUGHPHONECOMPANYCOUGH

15. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I've called AppleCare once (Well twice about one thing, and then they called about a repair that wasn't covered a while after) I think I waited about 5 minutes to talk to a human. I suppose the timing of my first call helped. 5PM Eastern on a Friday ;)

16. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

You don't even own a Mac. This is a pretty bold statement to be throwing out there.

AppleCare (phone support) people go through training, but after that they're just looking for keywords in their database and reading off scripted tech support stuff. You'd be surprised how many grandmas this works on. Oh, lordie me, I should just restart? Some of these AppleCare tech support people are just folks who want a job, they don't give a cr*p about Macs or PCs. Those with the real technical know-how are the higher-level support people within the organization. They don't answer phones and tell you to restart. For Jebus' sake people, if you knew a Mac inside and out, why would you continue to work a $7 or whatever and hour job?!?

17. iSuck macrumors member

iSuck

Me personally?
    No, but I did call applecare for my friend who is a owns a mac

18. t300 macrumors 6502a

t300

Haha..Worthless.

First of all, Applecare has always been great to me and everyone I have known. They are all Apple employees, not people in India that do service lines for Dell, Maytag, and Conair all at the same time. Applecare is top rated, look it up. This is not just some BS, it's real...

Second, this thread has turned into how Applecare sucks, when the OP was trying to say something about an iTV. Nothing about Applecare service and ordering somewhere else...Good grief.

And by the way...iSuck, your "avatar" in your signature doesn't make much sense seeing as:
    A. You don't have a Mac, and "awaiting" Powerbook is not really something you flaunt.
    B. It's not really an avatar.
    C. If you do have a 15gb iPod, it certainly doesn't look like the one pictured in your - ahem - "avatar."

So stop being rude and read the OP's question better next time so we don't waste 10 posts on how Applecare sucks.

19. jermsmingy thread starter macrumors regular

The old system only had 5 options, PowerMac, Powerbook, iMac, iBook, and iPod. Apple Care supports the computers, not other hardware sold from different companies. Now if it's an issue that has to deal with software or setting up a printer, apple care would probably help, but they would ask you to say the name of the product you need help with. Maybe, I'm way off, but I don't think that apple care gives support for non-apple products.