iTV question

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by newmacmom, Jan 8, 2007.

1. newmacmom macrumors member

I know that no one really knows for sure, but I have been trying to explain all the hub-bub to my PC father, and he says that everything I am saying about what iTV may have has already been done with Windows. So I am asking someone who knows more about computers, what do Mac people think is different about iTV from the Windows media way?

2. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Its made by Apple. i.e. simple set up. Easy to use. Good quality stuff.

Oh and it works on a Mac too. :D

3. Queso macrumors G4

We honestly don't know yet, but will probably be able to give you more information tomorrow. I'm expecting iTV to feature big in Steve's keynote demonstration.

4. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

5. R.Youden macrumors 68020

R.Youden

I wonder if Steve can pad iTV out for 2 hours...

6. Queso macrumors G4

Nah, but they'll be how many iPods and Macs sold over Christmas, movie downloads going international, new iLife & iWork to demo, and some upcoming Leopard stuff, so he can give it 20 minutes or so.

**puts down Tarot cards and crystal ball**

7. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

you been here before i see :D

Movie downloads is something i am really looking forward too:)

8. jne381 macrumors regular

My hope is that it has a feature in it like Tivo in order to record TV programs, but tit would also give you the opportunity to store them within iTunes.

I haven't heard anything that justifies my hope, but it can't hurt.

9. ready2switch macrumors 6502

From what I understand so far, the iTV will be a "receiver", only instead of cable/satellite/antenna being the source, your source is your computer. That computer can be anywhere in the house, since everything transmits wirelessly (ie: you can control your computer-housed media from the comfort of your television). This will allow you to play any media stored on that computer, be it homemade videos, music, downloaded or ripped movies and tv shows, or even "subscription" based shows (we hope).

The idea is: why pay for 400 channels of cable when all you really watch are 4 or 5 primetime shows which can be downloaded (commercial free?) to your iTV.

Of course everyone will have to do a cost-comparison based on their usage. The question of "real-time" events will also have to be addressed (news, sports, etc). But in my case, most of those "real-time" events can be picked up via antenna...no cable/satellite subscription required.

To my knowledge, you can watch TV through Windows if you have the tuner installed, but you can't do the streaming, downloading, etc that the concept of iTV will allow you to do.

10. R.Youden macrumors 68020

R.Youden

I see, are those the movie downloads going international that was supposed to happen 6 months ago and all those film studios joining!

Back to the OP

Why will iTV be better than anything on Windows?

I don't know if it will. What makes current Apple products better than Windows? You can do almost everything you want on Windows that you can do on a mac. What makes the iPod better than Zune? They both play MP3s, movies and display Photos.

The reason that Apple thing 'tend' to work better than non-Apple solutions is that they are integrated better and Apple have far greater control of harware implementation so they can avoid hardware conflicts.

11. Queso macrumors G4

No, these will be movies from 6 months later :)