Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

qtip919

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 24, 2002
Look, I am still absolutely amazed that so many people insist that they will gladly shell out 300 dollars for a glorified wireless hub with TV out. Still, I wonder why the ipod dock never got its chance at fulfilling the need in the living room.

Apple would only have needed to do the following:

1. Build a better interface for ipod + tv-out.

Just do front-row on the ipod...it cant be that hard...shoot, they're doing games arent they?

2. Component out...component out!...COMPONENT OUT?!?!?!?

This makes no sense. The itunes store is not selling HDTV content, yet the iTV has component out. something which the vast majority of televisions out there do not have. Most TVs out there...probably between 60-80% have s-video. S-video does a great job at around 480p, which is essentially what itunes is peddling. Coupled with the same interface that the front-row app uses your media from itunes can easily be synced down to your device, and then you can easily plug in your trusty ol ipod right next to your tv.

This, to me, makes perfect sense.

At the very least, they could have made another iteration of the airport express and uses s-video there.

I gotta rant: that entire presentation was bizarre by Apple standards...why introduce a product that isnt coming out for another 6-8 months? Why create a product like this that only about 10% of the market could even use. Why create a product that isnt even capable of doing everything its cracked up to do since the media isnt ready or available?!

Heck this all just stinks of reactionary engineering. Everyone has their hands in some sort of HD thing. Sony and Blu-ray are positioned for the living room, even Microsoft has their foot in the door and a$$ in the couches of america with over 1 million xbox 360s ready to deliver HD content into your home (oh, and tie in the Zune for a complete picture)...And this is all Apple can come up with?!

This thing is weak, expensive and poorly designed...

darkcurse

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2005
Sydney
Think of it as the video counterpart to the Airport Express. And, while it is very un-Apple-like, I'm actually glad that Steve announced something new to look forward to. While it is true that most TV sets don't have HD yet its the future so its all good I guess :D

qtip919

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 24, 2002
darkcurse said:
Think of it as the video counterpart to the Airport Express. And, while it is very un-Apple-like, I'm actually glad that Steve announced something new to look forward to. While it is true that most TV sets don't have HD yet its the future so its all good I guess :D

I am praying that they are going to include s-video on the actual shipping device.

Either way, I just plugged my ipod into my universal dock and I am watching an episode of this show called Fallen. It looks better than my DVD...Im not sure why in the world I would buy an itv over using my ipod dock...would you?!

qtip919

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 24, 2002
Benjamindaines said:
Dude calm down, it's not out yet. Apple hasn't even released any details, only previewed it. Many things will probably change. Take a chill pill

Look, I will take a chill pill once Jobs comes out and says...ha! I tricked ya! 300 dollars for the price of two!

I could build something myself that could do all of that for around 300 dollars. Without mass production savings and wholesale parts...What a ripoff.

qtip919

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 24, 2002
Benjamindaines said:
Alright, you do that. That's the same reason I have a linux box running along side my TV instead of a TiVo.

Awesome, I love it...so would you not agree that this whole thing stinks?

I mean, I would expect some overpriced, hand-cuffed peice of hardware from a company like Microsoft, but not from Apple.

Every product I have ever purchased from them served me well, with major feature advantages that other products could not offer. I think of the Newton, the ipod, my first powerbook...and this is the next biggest thing?
Oh well, I guess you cant hit home runs every time...here's to hoping that I will be eating my words in 6 months...

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Why do you expect that every product Apple makes will have to cater to your specific needs and expectations?

I think that the iTV is a reasonable value for what we have seen and what it seems obviously designed for. Delivering HD content (i.e. better than 480p) to an HDTV.

FWIW I just paid $269 for a second HDirecTiVo (HR10-250) since it was my last chance to get a TiVo compatible with my DirecTV service. The first one was $399 after a $200 rebate earlier this year. For crying out loud the 30 GB iPod was $299 until recently and it's performance needs are far less than what iTV has already been announced as doing...

Further, don't underestimate the power of a good UI and form factor. I too know that I could probably build a Linux box that would run circles around the TiVos (which of course are Linux boxes under the hood) for a similar if not lower price, but it wouldn't integrate with the service nor have the UI and the form factor. You have to pay more than bargain basement prices to get a small, quiet yet powerful enough box.

B

Bubbasteve

macrumors 65816
Dec 23, 2004
Charleston, IL
This is exactly why Apple shouldn't preview future products...

I'm assuming the iTV has alot more in store (hence if it was the final product why wouldn't Jobs and co. release it then and there?)

I'm just sitting back, relaxing and waiting...and I suggest you do the same before you have a heart attack over the matter

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
As an aside, since the doc connector pinout is well known why aren't there any dock -> S-video & RCA cables that would be cheaper than a dock and yet give much better performance than the headphone -> RCA A/V cable...

Also, many recent Samsung HDTVs have an optional iPod connectivity cable which allows you to control music playback from the iPod via the TV's remote. It's too bad they didn't plan it for use with video...

B

Benjamindaines

macrumors 68030
Mar 24, 2005
A religiously oppressed state
qtip919 said:
Awesome, I love it...so would you not agree that this whole thing stinks?

I mean, I would expect some overpriced, hand-cuffed peice of hardware from a company like Microsoft, but not from Apple.

Every product I have ever purchased from them served me well, with major feature advantages that other products could not offer. I think of the Newton, the ipod, my first powerbook...and this is the next biggest thing?
Oh well, I guess you cant hit home runs every time...here's to hoping that I will be eating my words in 6 months...
I agree that it's something that I would not buy because I have no need for it. But I'm not going to go as far as to say that it's crap because it's not released yet and knowing Apple, they will pull something out a their magic black bag right before release date. Heck the thing's not even named!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.