iTV to take on XBOX360, PS3, and Wii?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Proto Media, Oct 2, 2006.

1. Proto Media macrumors member

ok, so no one has mentioned this yet, but I think ALL of us are seriousley overlooking the implications of iTV. I mean sure, they just demoed it as a media streaming device, with emphasis on movies and shows and music and pictures, but imagine what else it could stream? I mean really, lets look at their pipeline so far.

They have intel processors, awesome GPUs, can run windows games, they have the iTunes music platform to deliver any type of media they want.

It is my belief that they will launch a gaming section in itunes, with full computer games available for download. They will have classics as well as the newest FPS and what not. You buy the game, download, and install. They can't be much bigger than a movie right? (I don't really know, someone can correct me)

AND HERE, LADIES AND GENTLMEN, IS THE DEAL BREAKER. Apple is going to launch the 59.99 device called the iPad. It is a bluetooth gaming controller, that talks with your iTV, you browse through your system, select your game, and wa la, instand game console. The real gameplay would be taking place on whatever mac the game was loaded on, but the screen would be streamed to your TV in your living room, where you, with the iPad would be free to play all the sickest games right there with the rest of them.

online play, the works, maybe even rankings and other gamer related services available as a bonus to .mac, or maybe a gaming package you can add onto your .mac account. saves your high scores, saves levels, set up teams, all that stuff.

anyway thats my rant, and I think apple is perfectly capable of bringing XBOX to its kness, and has 99% of the hardware coming to make it happen. Let me know what you guys think, and any suggestions you may have.

Peace out holmes,
    -Ryan

2. Piarco macrumors 68030

Piarco

Nice idea, but nope...I don't buy it. Takes a simple "It just works" device and makes it overly complicated. iTV is aimed solely at getting Apple content on your TV, not getting FarCry onto it.

And is that "holmes" as in Sherlock? ;) :D :p

3. risc macrumors 68030

risc

4. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Send some of what you're smokin' my way, cause it seems like some good sh**. :)

5. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

The latency would be too great to play games across a streamed link.

It's more likely that Apple and Nintendo would come together to do something, which let's face it is pretty unlikely too.

6. plinkoman macrumors 65816

plinkoman

7. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Unfortunately, the latency would likely be far too high for something as interactive as modern gaming.

It's not that it's a bad idea, it's just very likely that latency issues would make it impossible.

8. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

9. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

good idea, but i agree, it doubt it will happen. i just don't see apple doing that

10. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Slighty OT but in same vein regarding portables...

There was an interesting argument I listened to over a podcast the other week in regards to Apple's foray into gaming with the iPod.

Basically they were saying that Nintendo need to get their game together and announce the DS 2 because at the moment they should feel threatened by the ipod.

There are already more 5g ipods in the market than Nintendo DS lites.

Which because of

1) that kind of huge potential market
    2) a screensize similar to one of the DS's
    3) an already strong online distribution network
    4) a $4.99 price point
    5) similar powered hardware spec

A) With that Huge market, and online distribution it makes the ipod attractive to big name developers and it wont be long before we see the likes of EA on our ipods

B) With the ease of their delivery system and price structure it makes it also very alluring to the purchaser - $4.99 is a considerable advantage over $40

Thinking further on the subject I surmised then not only should Nintendo take note, but so should Sony.

Here we have a device that now, play's movies, play's music & play's games. Something the PSP promised and failed to deliver with UMD

We all know the 5.5g ipod is a stop gap, the real one to watch and interesting device will be the 6g ipod which will no doubt be more powerful again, have a bigger screen and possibly touch screen too.

This puts it in a very good gaming position offering DS style gaming, with PSP media capabilities and screen size, with iPod music playing on top of an already attractive package....

---

It's too easy to say that Sony & Nintendo are safe, as nothing in the marketplace is 'safe'... ask all the failed masters.

The battle for market dominance may not be as simple as Sony/Nintedo & Microsoft......

11. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

^So in short you are saying the zune will rule us all then:D ;)

Bless

12. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I wonder if M$ will have a "Zune Tune of Death" when it breaks down ;) :p :D

I know your joking. Zune will be interesting as it's main advantage is that it's hitting the market at a time when most people interested in a new MP3 player are all waiting to see the proper 6G video ipod. As long as Apple struggles to get it out of the factory zune will have good sales, but with Apple so far ahead of the market in terms of hardware and digital distribution - they may have that luxury of time they need to get it right....

Interersting times a head all round in the portable device market....

13. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

You know, my first thought was dismissal, but then I thought about it a bit.

It's been confirmed that the iTV has a hard drive. I know the first HD-DVD players had 2.5 GHz Pentium 4's with NVidia GPU's (I'd assume with H.264 hardware decoding, but I don't know for sure).

The XBox had a 733 MHz Pentium 3 w/half cache (making it closer to a Celeron in performance), and a Geforce 3.

If the iTV's hardware is anywhere near to those early HD-DVD players (or better), it COULD be a good gaming platform. If games were optimized to the exact set of hardware, and those iTV-compatible games were downloadable off iTunes...

It woudn't play Windows games or even Mac games, that's hoping for way too much, but Apple could partner with game companies to port Mac games to iTV- iTV could use the same API's as Mac OS X (even a stripped down version of it, like XBox used Windows), so it would be really easy to port, just optimize for the exact hardware.

It probably couldn't match XBox 360 and PS3, but it could easily outperform the Wii, and iTunes would become a games download service (games are stored on iTV's hard drive) and the iTV would also be an amazing media center as it is supposed to be.

However, I take it with a grain of salt. Don't expect it.

14. ChrisK018 macrumors regular

Apple's gaming history is pretty weak. They used PopCap for the iPod games right? This forum is usually filled with console news, as opposed to the tumbleweeds of true Mac-exclusive gaming.

If Jobs does the "and one more thing" trick for the amazing new iTV game line up then... oh please. No way. I don't think Apple would have anywhere near the 'cool' factor they have with so many of their products.

15. lmalave macrumors 68000

lmalave

Yes, exactly. For example, have you tried using the hacks that let you use Airport Express/AirTunes for any application? When you watch video, you get a lag between the video and the sound that makes it practically unusable. So AirTunes really is suitable only for streaming sound (from iTunes, or from any other source with the abovementioned hack).

iTV won't have the same problem keeping sound and video in sync, since it's actually streaming in a video format that has embedded sound. But since it's streaming I would expect that there would be a lag in responding to any input (from keyboard, mouse, etc.). In fact, to get around the latency issue with the Front Row remote, I'm sure that they will have to build an infrared receiver into the iTV itself (not to mention the fact that the Mac that is streaming the content may be in a different room...).

But that being said, if they could magically eliminate all latency in the video streaming, then the suggested idea is quite compelling...

16. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Wow, to think the iTV would easily outperform a Wii is quite a stretch. Even if it is "only a beefed up GameCube", at least the cube was designed from the ground up to be a gaming machine.

iTV is simply a streamer from everything that has been announced so far, right? A simple streamer will be far less advanced the a dedicated game machine, even a last gen console. It simply has to receive data and display it (or put it through the audio port), it doesn't actually need much, if any, 3D acceleration at all.

Sure it could be done if it was designed that way, but there isn't anything suggesting it will be anything more then a content streamer.

17. lmalave macrumors 68000

lmalave

No way. There's no way they could ship iTV at the price point they suggested and still make a profit. Unlike Microsoft, Apple is not in the business of making hardware that it loses money on. Every device (Macs, iPods, AirPorts, etc.) have been built and priced to make a profit.

So...iTV will have to be pretty bare-bones. H.264 hardware decoding and 802.11n is a must, but not much beyond that. It's really just going to be a device to browse your media collection and then stream video/audio wirelessly - that's it!

18. baleensavage macrumors 6502a

If Apple really cared about games, then they would have been out there for years trying to woo games developers to make games for Mac. As it is, only a handful of the best sellers come to Mac usually quite late in the game. I doubt Apple would be able to make any headway in the gaming market either portable or wireless. They simply don't have the clout in that industry and they have shown repeatedly that they have no interest in changing that.

19. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I actually dont think it's that they care about games, more they care about profit.

Gaming is HUGE now and $$$ kerrr ching is all apple see's. Hence it's gaming ipod - but I think for the next couple of years its ipod gaming apple will focus on if anything simply because they have a huge market out there for it with players already in peoples hands.

They are not taking risks at all. They have the infastructure and are not having to worry about compatability and specs as each of the game playable ipods are all the same.....

20. Mac-Addict macrumors 65816

Mac-Addict

Who's your dealer? Is it that ellen chick?
    And ermm.. Its Tv, Apple would have a better chance if they released iGame a gaming station that has a very nice graphics card and the games can work on ur mac or iGame

21. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Core Single + Geforce 7200 + WiFi < $300...
    Nintendo makes money on it's hardware, as well.

22. runplaysleeprun macrumors 6502a

runplaysleeprun

23. sam10685 macrumors 68000

sam10685

how bout the iPimpin'?

24. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

Not gonna happen.

The iTV would get its ass handed to it on a silver platter by the Xbox 360, PS3, and Wii. Espically the 360 and PS3 with all their power.