iTV video question

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Ladybug, Nov 11, 2006.

1. Ladybug macrumors 65816

Ladybug

Which format do you think would be the best option for saving DVD's to a hard drive, in preperation for iTV? I'd like to save space however playback would be on a 36 inch widescreen TV, so I'd like my DVD's to look nice as well. Any thoughts on this? Thanks

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Until we know otherwise, the only wise choices are to follow the iPod guidelines for 640x480 or 640xXXX MPEG-4 /H.264.

That's all that you can be (pretty) SURE the iTV will support. Anything else is pure speculation.

B

3. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

i wish i could rip all my dvds and play them through wirelessly...

4. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Uh...

I'm thinkin' that's pretty much the whole point of the iTV.

5. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

If you don't have enough Hard Disk space, you could always pick up a cheap external firewire drive and then just rip the DVDs to your computer (removing the extra features) without re-compressing them.

That's what I have done anyway.

6. Ladybug thread starter macrumors 65816

Ladybug

Thanks so much everyone. I'm excitedly waiting for iTV. I am planning to get a large external just for my video storage.

7. Motley macrumors 6502

Obviously the point is to help the movie and tv store in iTunes, my hope is that El Gato writes something so that EyeTV and iTV work seamlessly together (not just play recorded shows but also program EyeTV through iTV), that and the whole rip movies to comp and use it with iTV thing too.

8. Motley macrumors 6502

At macmall right now they're selling a 120GB firewire external drive for $50 (no idea the quality of the drive). Hopefully there'll be even better deals months from now when iTV comes out.