Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ladybug

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 13, 2006
Which format do you think would be the best option for saving DVD's to a hard drive, in preperation for iTV? I'd like to save space however playback would be on a 36 inch widescreen TV, so I'd like my DVD's to look nice as well. Any thoughts on this? Thanks

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Until we know otherwise, the only wise choices are to follow the iPod guidelines for 640x480 or 640xXXX MPEG-4 /H.264.

That's all that you can be (pretty) SURE the iTV will support. Anything else is pure speculation.

B

hvfsl

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2001
London, UK
If you don't have enough Hard Disk space, you could always pick up a cheap external firewire drive and then just rip the DVDs to your computer (removing the extra features) without re-compressing them.

That's what I have done anyway.

Ladybug

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 13, 2006
Thanks so much everyone. I'm excitedly waiting for iTV. I am planning to get a large external just for my video storage.

Motley

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2005
I'm thinkin' that's pretty much the whole point of the iTV.

Obviously the point is to help the movie and tv store in iTunes, my hope is that El Gato writes something so that EyeTV and iTV work seamlessly together (not just play recorded shows but also program EyeTV through iTV), that and the whole rip movies to comp and use it with iTV thing too.

Motley

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2005
Thanks so much everyone. I'm excitedly waiting for iTV. I am planning to get a large external just for my video storage.

At macmall right now they're selling a 120GB firewire external drive for $50 (no idea the quality of the drive). Hopefully there'll be even better deals months from now when iTV comes out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.