iTV

Discussion in 'iPod' started by carve, Oct 3, 2006.

1. carve macrumors 6502a

carve

How many people are saving up to buy the iTV, I have a question though how is it going to connect to your computer... Bluetooth?

2. nodabs macrumors regular

Bluetooth doens't have the range... it is speculated that it will connect through the new (not yet approved) draft-N wireless standard.

3. LillieDesigns macrumors 6502

LillieDesigns

It's going to run on an 802.11 connection, but it was not specified whether it will be g or n. My bet is n even though it'll only be a draft non the certified standard...yet.

4. carve thread starter macrumors 6502a

carve

So if you dont have the right wireless connection it won't work?

5. p0intblank macrumors 68030

If 802.11n support is there, I'm pretty sure 802.11b will also... I could be wrong, though. There will most definitely be support for ethernet.

6. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

I say get a xbox360 with connect360 just a matter of time until connect360 gets video capabilities.

7. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Real Zune now I presume... :rolleyes:

B

8. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

well honestly if it does the same thing as an itv plus you get a sweet gaming rig why not? especially those like myself who already have a 360

9. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Is one good reason, so even if it does get video support, it won't support any TV Shows or video bought from iTMS....

(i.e. it doesn't do the same thing as an iTV)

That said, if it works for you, great. I'm really not anti-MS...

I just find that there seems to be a lot of astroturfing going on these days which seems to be aimed at hyping up the Zune and spreading FUD, kind of like the buzz around Origami (a.k.a. UPMC) was before its release and I couldn't resist the play on words.

B

10. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

would it really not work? i am able to play my itunes music store songs on it. I was under the impression the mac played the video and then streamed it which would i thought get rid of the drm

i may be wrong though

11. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

WE JUST DON'T KNOW HOW ITV WILL ULTIMATELY WORK.

Sorry I usually don't yell, but it seems highly unlikely that iTV will work anything like the Airport Express due to the bandwidth requirements even for the current 480p videos from iTMS... As it is the move from 320x240 to 640x480 is pushing it for 802.11b with compressed videos shared over iTunes...

Nullriver claims on the Connect 360 page that iTunes tracks are not supported so I wonder how you got it to work. :confused:

B

12. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

hmm maybe they dont ill have to retry it, but i thought i was able too. if so that will kinda suck. But then again i rip my own movies so i will never buy them from itms and be subject to the drm