I've always wondered..

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Losium, Dec 28, 2006.

1. Losium macrumors newbie

Why is it that on TV or in the movies etc etc if there is a computer it is probably going to be a mac?
    Even if they don't want people to know it's a mac, I often see a mac with the apple covered...
    Why is this? Does Microsoft have REALLY crazy copyright rules? Or do people in television prefer macs so much so that they always use them in commercials?
    You NEVER see windows on TV, it's either a fake system or OS X

2. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

Never say never... I see plenty of PC's on TV, or at least their monitors. Especially Dells and HPs.

As to why you do see a lot of Macs, they just plain look better than PCs.

3. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

It's a combination of the fact that Macs look sexier and Apple's extensive experience and success with product placement.

4. lmcintyre macrumors regular

I think its because writers, producers, set designers ect. are the kinds of people who use macs.

5. JD92 macrumors 6502a

JD92

I know what you're saying, I've seen a few TV programs and adverts where it's obvious they're using an iMac or MacBook, but the Apple logo has been covered up. Who knows why.

6. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

I always thought it was an interesting character note that on the X-Files Mulder used a Mac at home while Sculley's personal machine was a PC. I think there may be something to the idea that Macs are readily available in broadcasting but I don't know anything about TV, prop selection or product placement.

7. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Indeed – they look good on camera, simple as that. The Apple logo can be covered up for a variety of reasons, I suppose the most common of which is that the TV people will want to avoid unpaid product placement wherever possible.

8. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

or maybe its just advertising on Apples' part (deals with major studios or something)

9. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Nothing to do with Microsoft. Even if it's a PC that's seen in the TV show or movie, it's almost always some fake OS. I've seen Windows on rare occasion though. I don't recall ever seeing a real OS X, it usually something that looks similar but is fake.

10. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

It's because PCs look god awful and Macs look much better. The logos are covered because the studios don't want a 3rd party company to get free advertisement without them getting a cut.

11. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

I'm always pleased by how many print ads I see that include a pic of a browser window that use Safari...so sleek and simple.

12. wozzlewoozle macrumors regular

I've always felt it was likely about availability as much as looks. If those working on the film/tv show are using macs, they might just grab one for a shot?

13. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

You don't see a real OS because 9 times out of 10 the computer isn't actually doing anything, it's just a video file that plays on queue when an actor needs to look something up in AFIS (CSI). Ever noticed how on CSI (again with the CSI) they're typing away while they're "enhancing" the video or picture? It's just to make it look like they're doing something, it's a bit more dramatic than moving the mouse around like you would in reality.

14. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

well obvious to us.

15. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

I read somewhere a few years ago that when you see a brand in on TV or in a movie, it's a result of the company paying for it. There were examples in the article, like using a Ford in a prominent way, or people drinking Pepsi, and they cited examples of how much a company would have to pay for something like that, depending on who was starring in the movie, etc.

I've always assumed that it was the same for Mac or Dell, but I don't know.

16. bozigle macrumors regular

Well in fact it even goes further than that.
    Since the simple use of colour association with star wars (the light saber and laser beam from gums) many shows went on doing similar association with mac/pc take a good look at e.g. alias what the character is using as a computer and you get a clue on what side he/she is... maybe soon we'll be able to do the same with iPod/Zune... that is if they have time to buy some before the product get discontinued...
    bozigle

17. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

The vast majority of the time, yes, the company that makes the product has paid to have it included in the show/movie...it's called product placement and is a huge industry. Apple is one of the most aggressive companies in terms of product placement, but my understanding is that they do not pay cash like most other companies do. Apple relies on other perks...I assume they throw around free Macs and iPods to the show/movie's producers and others.

18. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

And because they aren't willing to pay cash most of the time, shows will censor the logo.

You also need to remember that some shows, like Mythbusters, show Macs but have it censored because they didn't get permission to show the logo on screen and they don't want to be sued when someone sees it.

19. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I think also it has to do with the way computers are used on TV: when hardware is shown, they want minimalism -- the hardware is almost always less of an emphasis than the person using it. So they want hardware that's attractive and enhances the image of the character without being a distractor. And even if you don't think Macs are prettier (pssh, they are), they're certainly far more minimalist. They don't have a thousand stickers and gaps in the panels and plugs coming out from every side.

When they want software on the screen, it's quite the opposite. Usually they do want the software to be noticeable. Like all the software shown on screen on CSI. And there, you notice that they don't really particularly use MacOS. They make ridiculous flashy custom interfaces (probably using Linux). Because they can make it look incredibly "sophisticated."

Plus the neon blue lights screw up the auto light adjustment! :eek: ;) :D

20. cantthinkofone macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

If you see the apple logo, its because apple paid for it to be in the movie/tv show/commercial. 'Meet the falkers' has greg using a mac, he sits down at it, and prints out thier flight plan with command p from safari.

But if you want to see real advertising of the mac, go watch the 3rd Blade movie. Good Lord. They have about 10 imacs, 5 G5s, a few minis. A xserve, and a couple of xraids :eek: And Jessica Beel (or how ever you spell her name) must have a ipod for every genre of music she has on her mac in the movie. Must be about $500,000 worth of mac stuff in one scene!!

21. Chrismcfall macrumors 6502

Anybody in the uk watch "Spooks"? Every single computer in that show is a Mac! Csi Vegas+NY sometimes use an apple Notebook, I remember an iBook being processed in one episode of New York. Usually the logo is conveniently covered by something.
    Miami only use Dell displays though :eek: But at least Mac(Csi New York, not a computer!) has an ACD!

22. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

They always have Macs in Hollyoaks, which actually makes me want to cry.

23. Chrismcfall macrumors 6502

Really? Never actually watch Hollyoaks, always something better on! I cant think of any shows that do feature Macs a lot, anybody else?

24. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

so along with that color idea anything brown is bad and black/white is good.

25. robPOD macrumors 6502

wHITE IS LIGHT AND GOOD AND DARK IS EVIL